West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:23, Hroth said:

That 101 looks really realistic!  :jester:

With the framing around the front windows picked out in black, I always think of that livery as the "Adam Ant" one....

Adam Ant!!   That's going back a bit!!!!

11 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Adam Ant!!   That's going back a bit!!!!

Wellllll.  The "Regional Railways" livery is pretty contemporary to the chart presence of Adam Ant (At least, both were 80's phenomena)...

And there is also the re-broadcast of Top of the Pops episodes on BBC 4 to blame for dredging such things from the buried mists of time!  TOTP on BBC 4 is into the late 80s now, about the time my vestigial interest in such things finally decayed.  Terrible stuff!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Surely Siouxsie Sioux?

52 minutes ago, Simond said:

Saw her at Liverpool uni in about ‘79...

Didn’t know she studied there...

The 50 is fixed!!!

I've worked on it this afternoon and fortunately the bogie side frames were removable.   This is what was causing the problem:

IMG_20190706_183035.jpg.aeb3a59d5431dc4a7ed4233d71768ce9.jpg

Where the screw has ended up. I haven't a clue!!  Fortunately, I had a couple in my spares box so the wheel is now seated properly.

I checked all of the others while I was at it: there was another slightly loose, but the remaining 10 were fine.  I checked all the pickups as well.  The loco now runs really sweetly - and very slowly, on notch 1 of 128.

All in all, I'm happy with that.  I've got my mojo back - at last!!!   Now, ……  what's next??    Watch this space!!

Rod

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all.

Just a little insight into the trials and tribulations of running a large layout.  I've had a couple of problems relating to points 26a, the crossover 26 and signal 17.  Just as a reminder here's a pic of the relevant section of the signal box diagram:

427098031_P1060041-Copy.JPG.bc2e8eb10be0e76977a79ecb4dea47df.JPG

Signal 17 controls the exit from platform 1, directly onto the Up Main only.  A few days ago, the front bogie of a unit leaving platform 1 went across the crossover, while the following 2 derailed  (I stopped it before the 4th bogie reached the crossover).  Examination showed that the blades on point 26a were in the mid-position and were not moving: the Tortoise motor was working correctly.  Examination under the baseboard (not getting any easier as the years move on!!) showed that the sliding adjuster on the Tortoise had worked itself down to the bottom and was having no effect.  That eventually got put back into place and the point then changed normally.

However, ……. I found, by accident (and I can't remember what I did!), that signal 17 could be cleared when crossover 26 is reversed: this should not happen as platform 1 to the Down Main is not a permitted move.  Suspicion immediately fell onto one of the microswitches which are built into the Tortoise and which is used in the signal interlocking (the other reverses the frog polarity) particularly after the problem mentioned above.  A liberal spray of contact cleaner had no effect so I then started thinking that it must have been left off my interlocking truth table.  I couldn't find that easily so I checked the diode matrix board and there is certainly a connection between signal 17 and the normal lie of crossover 26.  So a little bit of pressure on the wire produced this:

1492551209_IMG_20190709_132026-Copy.jpg.1f5a0c2f71a20c2ac70050f56cdb66f9.jpg

The soldered joint on the reverse of the board had failed!!!  It should have been in the 3rd marked hole on the line S17.  I could unscrew the board from the leg it was fastened to, but couldn't get at the joint at all to resolder it - well, not without unscrewing a significant number of other joints.  So the solution was this:

1035276455_IMG_20190709_213410-Copy.jpg.9d221af5f05601946fbc349f030cf28d.jpg

It spoils the symmetry a bit, but it works!!  (Apologies for the focus being a bit out.)

So, one problem solved led to another: a frustrating but ultimately satisfying few hours were spent on that.  The air was a bit blue at times (!!), but it is the kind of problem that I like to tackle.  It takes time away from operating but it makes operating all the more satisfying when things work correctly!!  It is something I could easily have worked round but it would have niggled away that it wasn't working as it should!!!

Back to operating tomorrow with peace of mind!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Neat solution Rod,

begs the question, which I’m currently dealing with, of connecting multiple outlets to a circuit board.  Turnout motors are a case in point (Sorry) as there are lots of them (my shed has 8, you have loads more), the have to be reassembled in order, and disconnecting them to allow maintenance would be helpful.  Add lights, turntables, level crossings, yada, yada, and you’re into lots of channels.

there are lots of clever multi pole connectors available, if you run to a second mortgage... :)

if if I find an answer...

atb

simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How much per pole are you prepared to pay?  I have designed a set of 'modules' on small stripboard which I connect together with 0.1" pcb connectors.  Buying in bulk (100 connectors, 500 crimps) I'm down to 7.2p per pole for 3 way connectors under 22p per connector.  There's the cost of the PCB and initial outlay of the crimp tool but it works for me.

PDU.jpg.6cd3cd6b8ac16974341e641b8a856a3e.jpg

I use ESR Electronic Components (near Cullercoats Metro) or by mail order and have found their service very good.

Photo is a blow up, if you want a better picture I can next time I'm under the board.

Paul.

Paul,

thanks for the link.  I do use 0.1” connectors, usually from Hobbytronics, though I suspect they’re not the cheapest.

the ideal connectors sockets solder to veroboard, with plugs screw fitted to the wires, though crimps (or in extremis, solder) could be ok.  The green ones fitted to Lenz stuff are nice, but an 8-way is probably a fiver each for plug & socket, maybe more.

ill have a look at ESR.

Cheers

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Another long gap since my last post!!  Not done much modelling in the last month or so, in the sense of adding to the layout.  I have done a fair bit of playing/operating, though!!!

Apart from that, there was a short session where the 2 arms on the Down Inner Home were operating together!!  I still haven't a clue why but I took the top of the control panel off and wiggled a few wires around - and found nothing amiss so I just turned all the power off and left it for half an hour or so and …..  lo and behold, everything worked properly again!!!!

As I say, I haven't a clue as to what was happening!!  

Apart from that , there's been frustration!!  1) I fired up my compressor after my son-in-law had fixed it and ………  it didn't work again!  So I can't finish the fire station.   He's got it back now and is sending to Germany for some parts.    2) I wrote an article on the layout in February for the Gauge 0 Guild Gazette and I was told it was pencilled in for the August issue.  I was even asked for more information some weeks before, too.  So, imagine my disappointment when it didn't appear.  I'm now told it's likely to be in the first edition in the New Year.  I was looking forward to seeing it!!

However, on the positive side ………..  I found out recently that I've been inadvertently paying for my free TV licence for 3 years.  I thought they would automatically stop collecting the money when you got to 75.   Er …. nooooo.  (I should be checking my bank statements more carefully!!!)   So I've now got a refund of 3 years' payments and, guess what? Telford's coming up!!!  However, I've just bought a Zimo chip for my new 101 and I may need some money for our next trip to Switzerland as the exchange rate is, shall we say, politely(!!) pretty poor.  But the Dapol 121 does tempt me, I must admit!!

Oh, and Everton won today as well - and I was there!!  So things are looking up!!

Watch this space.   I might even get some proper modelling done!!  More soon. 

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
correct spelling
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Rod. I have just caught up with WKT after a short absence with other matters and I must say your101 looks great. It is nice to have an operating session from time to time and it makes a change from all the work we put into our systems. After all we build models for pleasure and to address our artistic desires to create something to remind us of bygone days.   Keep up the good work it is inspiring.

Rod

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

I'm back again - having run out of steam a couple of months ago - for various reasons, one of which was the article not appearing in the August issue of the G0G Gazette!!  (Maybe November but probably first issue in 2020!!)   Add to that the very slow progress with the fire station ……………..

Anyway, things are looking up now and there's been progress on the rolling stock front.  The 504 and the 105 have returned to their home depot and a Class 128 has turned up!!  Here it is:

1554526424_IMG_20191016_222558-Copy.jpg.74a2f00cd57468822fd4bb90f3313e61.jpg

Clean and shiny at the moment but it will be "mucked up" a bit soon!!  Seen here with the 131  - and I've a pic with the 2 of them and a GUV but that will follow in the next post as I've hit the 10Mb limit!!

The major news, though,  is that the 101 is finished and has arrived at WKT.  Here's what she looks like - ready to depart:

667813803_IMG_20191022_153926-Copy.jpg.a8ae473353d9af26b4ff9358e36bf262.jpg

Clean and shiny, yes, but it's staying like that - on the basis it's just out of the paint shop and this is it's first day of working!!!   I'm stretching my time frame a bit, I know, so I don't want to push it too far!!**  The driver seems to be not sure where he's going - the destination blind is showing part Chester and part Helsby!!!!   (The other end is "West Kirby T")

**   Are we taking bets on a Reggie Rail 37 appearing soon?  There's no plans, but ………  who knows??!!

I am really, really pleased with it, so many thanks to Dave Hampson who built it for me.  All being well, it will be appearing at the MIOG Show at Rawtenstall on 2nd & 3rd November - on "Apethorne Junction"    Once I've got the lights sorted out, that is - but that's another story!!!!

Here's another pic as it rests in platform 1 ready for departure::

IMG_20191022_153943_-_Copy.jpg.11a7aecd9541adca9b678af0ee467657.jpg

Eagle-eyed readers may have noticed that I've started on a slippery slope - it's got interior lighting!!!  I've talked about this before - and resisted it!!  However, having seen the effect here I can see more appearing - but rather slowly, there's a lot more to do on the layout first!!

Finally, a pic as the unit departs from platform 1 on its way to Helsby:

2018039393_IMG_20191022_154029-Copy.jpg.229262c94cdd6a49064d1df4d928bfa7.jpg

More to follow in the next post.  Stay tuned.

Rod

• Like 13

Oh s***!!!!   I can't upload  any more pics as I've hit the 10Mb limit!!  I hope that's per day - if it is, I'll put the pic on tomorrow:  if not, I may emigrate to WT!!!!

In more news ….. the fire station project has come back to life again.  I've still not got a new compressor but I bought a rattle can of red oxide primer and that makes the walls look a lot better.  I've put one coat on and I'll add another when I've time and it's reasonable weather outside.  Then I'll continue the build.

I mentioned the lights above.  I've got 3 Zimo chips with Paul Chetter's sound on them - 2 for DMUs such as 101, 108 and 121 and one for the 128.  Unfortunately the lights are all over the place - the DMU chips are programmed for the Dapol model (00 I assume) so only some of them work correctly:  I can get light from all the LEDs but not at the right times!!  So it's going to mean a request for help on a DCC forum.  The 128 chip is stated to be for the Heljan 128 but something's wrong as the interior lights come on with the marker lights and won't go off unless the marker lights do - another query for the DCC thread!!  They should be on F10 but that doesn't work!!

I could go back to Loksound chips but I do like the Zimos - I'll like them even more when I get the lights sorted!!.  Also the DMU sounds are very reminiscent of the 104 on the Llangollen Railway - a lovely "rasp" at max revs!!  I  was driving it when Paul recorded the sounds but I need him to confirm that that's where the sound's from as he may have recorded elsewhere, too.  I don't know if he's used the same sound for the 128 - the "rasp" isn't there, but I've used 2 x 4ohm speakers on the unit, one of them inside the body, whereas the 101 and 131 have 8 ohm speakers under the floors and that difference could affect how the sound is produced.

We've had a good operating session this afternoon after the 101's delivery but I should have cleaned the track first!!   The 2 parcels DMUs and a GUV means another interesting operation - the GUV has to be uncoupled and cleared out of the way to let the units couple up to drag it out in the opposite direction.  This takes place (or did!!) in the sidings rather than the platforms.  It could happen in the platforms if passenger traffic is quiet but using the sidings is a different challenge!!

So that's it for now, folks.  Check back tomorrow in case I've managed to get the other pic on!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Its usually pretty quick and easy to resize pictures in one of the programs on your pc such as "paint". Right click on the image in your directory and use "open with" to find one, then there will be a resize option and i just select a percentage (depends on the original but somewhere around 30 or so) to end up with roughly 1000 pixels on the longest axis, with the box ticked to keep the ratio of height to width the same. Use "save as" to make a copy and preserve the original. You don't need much resolution for viewing on a screen, so big files are unnecessary.

The 101 looks great incidentally!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Rod,

"I bought a rattle can of red oxide primer and that makes the walls look a lot better."

I have no clear recollection of the brick colour at WK fire station, but if you like the brickwork on my loco shed, it is halfords red oxide primer in the large silver tins, and afterwards, I rubbed it over with Wickes premixed filler, and then pretty much immediately wiped the filler off with a damp sponge or piece of kitchen roll.  To my eyes, the filler does for mortar, and the very thin remainder on the faces of the bricks gives a more natural "brick-like" finish - sort-of-ceramic.

this stuff https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Quick-Drying-Filler---330g/p/154900. 

there are a couple of recent photos in the Duchess thread, and lots in the PD thread, links below

atb

Simon

Some wonderful progress on the layout and the stock is looking excellent . Knowing the area the buildings along the back scene makes it's unmistakably West Kirby and the station has all the all atmosphere .... regarding the driver and the ' not sure where I'm going'  destination board I reckon it's slipped as it  passed through Mickle Trafford :laugh:.....keep up the good work :fan:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Finally, a pic as the unit departs from platform 1 on its way to Helsby:

Looks like a mid-afternoon service, its pretty empty!

16 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

a Class 128 has turned up!! 

Possibly the ugliest incarnation of the class....  I think the ones with either the corridor connection or the third window look a little more "balanced" up front!  It reminds me of an English Bull Terrier...

EBT.jpg.7f88d31200da2d4109375da55e453e5a.jpg

1 hour ago, Simond said:

I have no clear recollection of the brick colour at WK fire station.

The "real" WK fire station didn't have any brick at all, its just very dirty white concrete blockwork. Hoylake was red pressed brick and is now an evening eatery place.

btw If anyone wants a really cavernous place for a huge model railway, WK fire station is now up for sale, Fire services for the area are now concentrated in Saughall Massie, in the middle of a network of windy B roads...

Anyhow, nice to see WKT back in action, looking good!

Edited by Hroth
Keyboard stutter...
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1