Templecombes Jinty 47542

I'm renumbering a Bachmann Jinty into Templecombe's 47542, but I can't find many pictures of it actually in use. I've only found about 6 in total, 4 of which show it parked out of use in the long siding next to the shed.

The other 2 are :

- a shot taken by both Ivo Peters and Norman Lockett on 9.10.1959 (captioned as 47342 but it's obviously 47542) hauling a northbound pick up goods just north of Sturminster Newton.

- A Dick Riley picture dated 4.07.1961 of it shunting Sturminster Newton yard. The caption of this one also suggests it appeared there 3 times during w/e 13.12.1958 on the Templecombe - Blandford pick-up goods.

Does anyone know what else it was used for ?. Did it venture south more often or on a different duty ?.

I built 47542 about seven or eight years ago and one of the photos I used showed some kind of pulley tackle hanging from the boiler handrail. The photo is in Model Railways Illustrated No.2 Vol.2, Oct 1994, and the caption says "...it's not clear if the loco was assigned to banking duties, in spite of the pulley tackle hanging from the rail; a screw front coupling is carried, not suited to this type of operation." but whether it was shedded at Templecombe at this date I couldn't say for certain. If it's of any use, this is how I mocked up the pulley tackle. More photos here.

47542_02.jpg

47542_08.jpg

It was at Templecombe from 11.58 until withdrawl in 6.62. Before that it was a Bath loco, so may well have been used for banking then. But there seems to be a lack of pictures !

( and why does this character font keep changing ? )

According to Chris Handley in Radstock Coal & Steam, vol 2, it had been a Bath engine 22/12/34-29/11/58 and 17/10/61--19/5/62. However, it was at Radstock 22/12/34-15/4/39, 18/12/43-1944, and in 1950 and 1958. He has one photo of it at Radstock shed in 1958, though this rear view is too dark to see any detail. Hammond's Splendour of the Somerset & Dorset Railway has an undated photo of it on a permanent way train replacing track panels. In the latter, it has a 3 link coupling on the front. There are some photos of others with screw couplings at the rear, so I wonder if some of those used for banking had 3 link at the front and screw at rear?

Any guesses as to what the the pulley was for in Adrian's lovely model? Normal practice for bankers was to hang a crude wire hook over the smokebox handrail so that it could be uncoupled by the guard on the banked train.

Nick

Interesting that the workings noted in the first post are south of Templecombe. My impression is that less is known (or at least published) about the southern half of the line - maybe because the Mendips were perceived as more "exciting"? Or maybe because Ivo lived in Bath not Bournemouth.

Can anyone suggest good references for workings on the southern part of the line (Apologies to Combe Martin* for the hijack)

*My wee lad is now seven, but when he first learnt to speak one of his early favourite words was "Combe Arch" uttered with tiny clasped hands of delight as she goes across Midford viaduct in the opening sequence of Titifield Thunderbolt - much loved by the wee lad (and his Daddy!)

I'm taking my info from 'BR Steam Shed Allocations - Part Nine - Southern Region Sheds' which lists it at Templecombe from 11.58 until withdrawl in 6.62

However, looking at the photos I've found, they are dated from 10.59 to 7.61 , so maybe it moved back to Bath unrecorded after then.

Archived