RMweb

How to paint to look like a lead roof

I have a lead sheeted roof to model. The structure is plastic.

If at all possible I would prefer to use spray paint as I certainly do not want any brush marks.

What paint and what colour would you recommend?

I know that lead went grey (or someone said very slightly bluey grey) as it oxidised, plus it would have had all the soot from the loco chimneys, so what would be a good colour?

It is a big area, so I do not want to make it too dark, or it will dominate the whole layout.

Thanks for your help

Art

• RMweb Premium

Is it a pitched roof? If so, rain would wash a lot of soot off. Lead on a roof isn't very dark unless new. It oxidises into a lightish medium grey and then stabilises, although the colour is uneven. A pitched roof may have lighter streaks running down it. I have some roofing lead for ballst weights; it had been left outside and in places is quite light in colour with oxide, although this brushes off. There's little if any bluish colour in it though. A straight black/white mix would probably do. Refer to colour photos for the tonal value, if possible.

Pete

Lead does weather in an odd way;- If there are ribs on the roof that the lead is bent around, those areas usually weather to a lighter colour than the flat sections, as the metal is stressed more when it's shaped. Humbrol used to do a 'Roof lead' enamel paint, which might be a good starting point, but you would really need to do some weathering over any spray-painted finish if you want it to look realistic..

Archived