Eastern Region 1960s Shed Diorama

I thought I'd post updates on my new micro layout I have planned.

The story so far.....

I have a large collection of OO gauge BR Eastern Region diesel locos and DMU's. I live in a small house which isn't suitable for a decent size layout. So I thought I'd make a micro layout which would allow me to run all my stock and be good enough to take to shows. I have decided to make a diorama of the inside of a 1960 engine shed. I have been inspired by Worcester Road gauge 1 layout.

post-15136-0-45521200-1333993584_thumb.png

GG

Guest Jim Read

Hello George,

What a good idea, that would look great, especially with its own lighting. May I ask if the dotted lines represent a traverser. I imagine locos having been serviced put onto other roads waiting to return to work.

Jim

Hi Jim

The dotted lines do represent a traverser and a hidden siding at the back. I am looking into lighting at the moment. May need to build my own if I cant find suitable lighting frames etc.

GG

I like the idea of this. But I have a question....are you going to have the full roof of the shed in place or will it be just the rafters, pirlins and beams, or totally open? This was a quandry that I had with my own (much smaller) shed layout - in the end I went for leaving the roof off altogether so that the hand of god could get in to do the coupling work, and so that people could see in.

If there roof is there then it makes it very atmospheric but, of course, you limit the viewing potential. On the other hand I've seen people moaning about sheds modelled without roofs. So will be interested to see what you do with it.

I like the idea of this. But I have a question....are you going to have the full roof of the shed in place or will it be just the rafters, pirlins and beams, or totally open? This was a quandry that I had with my own (much smaller) shed layout - in the end I went for leaving the roof off altogether so that the hand of god could get in to do the coupling work, and so that people could see in.

If there roof is there then it makes it very atmospheric but, of course, you limit the viewing potential. On the other hand I've seen people moaning about sheds modelled without roofs. So will be interested to see what you do with it.

I think I will leave the roof on for now, I was planning to build an operational gantry crane but i'm still not sure that I want to go down that route.

• RMweb Premium

For finishing the front of the model, the workshop at the East Anglian Railway Museum (beside Chappel and Wakes Colne station) is fronted by a passenger platform. This arrangement would give you a space to display the name of the location in a scale form (on a station nameboard) for exhibition use, the model could end at the edge of the platform.

Notwithstanding you wanting to leave the roof on ... I wonder about omitting the surface of the rear half of the roof (with the trusses modelled intact) and providing a mirror so people can look down on what is going on inside? This would also do away with the need for a backscene.

• RMweb Premium

How about 'New Constable': gives clues to the location by a link to one of the region's famous sons as well as to the MNGR.

I have found a list of Eastern Region sheds here:

http://www.tracksideltd.co.uk/node/78

... playing around with the names here there are possiblities with a definite regional flavour e.g. 'West Lynn' or perhaps wishful thinking 'Tilbury Beach'

How about 'New Constable': gives clues to the location by a link to one of the region's famous sons as well as to the MNGR.

I have found a list of Eastern Region sheds here:

http://www.tracksideltd.co.uk/node/78

... playing around with the names here there are possiblities with a definite regional flavour e.g. 'West Lynn' or perhaps wishful thinking 'Tilbury Beach'

I would loved to have based my layout on Tilbury but there is very little stock for the LT&SR lines that I would be able to use especially as I have a nice collection of DMU's which I want to show off. The four Bachmann locos which I have which operated on the LTS line are all broken just after a few months of use. So if I base my layout on any part of the Eastern Region it will have to be based around Stratford or Ilford possible Ipswich or Norwich so I can show off my Eastern Region locos and DMU's.

I do like the sounds of West Lynn, brings back childhood memories but its abit to far away from the East London/Essex area that I want to base my layout on.

Archived