RMweb private viewing and guided tour of Pendon Museum

Andy Y

I'll pop back with some snaps tomorrow but I'm somewhat bushed after four hours sleep and a long day. Absolutely excellent day all round with big thanks to Castle, the Pendon team and The Stationmaster; the day ran like clockwork.

Hello :)

An absolute top banana day! I really enjoyed it, a big thanks to Andy, Mike, Pendon, and Castle for all sorting things out. That was the best day I have ever had a Didcot. I have my feet up here at home looking through my piccies, below are a few that caught my eye...

post-2065-0-46472300-1343504550.jpg

post-2065-0-02547700-1343504552.jpg

post-2065-0-14906400-1343504555.jpg

post-2065-0-64423400-1343504556.jpg

post-2065-0-16810000-1343504558.jpg

post-2065-0-05806200-1343504561.jpg

Nearly finally, its quite nice to know it happens to the best of us...

post-2065-0-44964600-1343504553.jpg

...and finally this one is screaming for a caption....

post-2065-0-30647400-1343504559.jpg

Missy :)

the day ran like clockwork.

Apart from me getting hopelessly lost several times and arriving late to Pendon!

That is my own stupidity, and I do wonder if I'm starting to have "senior moments" at a young age. That apart the day was absolutely brilliant. The staff volunteers at Pendon could not have been more friendly and no question was too much trouble. It was fascinating to see the 100 wagon freight train back up so it could restart the train one wagon at a time. Wouldn't like to say which was the best bit, but every corner revealed something new to see.

Having an expert show us round Didcot was really great too. Really looking to seeing the blue King in action. I think my only regret was not being suitably shaped to climb up into the cab of the rail motor. BTW, if you do go, the guide book is an excellent read and really worth a fiver.

I can recommend a visit to either or both of these attractions. To do both in one day may be a bit much, but then you may not choose to spend hours exploring random bits of Oxfordshire. However it was a superb day for driving the MG and she performed faultessly.

Many many thanks to Andy and Drew/Castle, and all at Pendon.

Ed

I can't really add much to any of the above - really excellent day, thanks to all involved in organising it, and in our case to Nick (Brinkly) for driving us from south Devon and back. If I have any photos to add I'll put them up, although Gordon and Julia have already covered most of the subjects I would have chosen!

• RMweb Gold

Can I just add what a great time I had and my thanks to Andy for organising, plus to Stationmaster for the pub lunch element. Its the first time I have seen Pendon and I can say now it will not be the last. The scale of the Vale scene is just incredible and there is not a square mm which is not having real attention to detail paid to it. There were a couple of times where something was described and it really tested my eyes to see what had been created such as the little robin sitting on top of a fork.

A day that has definitly got me thinking about how to tackle my own layout.

I should also add that despite having been playing trains now for over 10 years, this is the first time I have spent a couple of hours simply chatting to a bunch of other modellers. May have to try that again as well.

Here's a few more....

How Pendon make bicycles...

post-6950-0-33905200-1343540872_thumb.jpg

A few of the Madder Valley Layout and the Dartmoor scene...

post-6950-0-81302600-1343540885_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-99126600-1343540907_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-84878400-1343540921_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-70309400-1343540936_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-27591600-1343540949_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-62382000-1343540960_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-84984600-1343540971_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-60981400-1343540996_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-89444100-1343541103_thumb.jpg

Back to Didcot and Britannia in for repair. I think I read somewhere it suffered from a broken spring...

post-6950-0-21832600-1343541116_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-73704900-1343541217_thumb.jpg

The GWR coaler and the Broad gauge/standard gauge transfer shed and miscellaneous items of stock. I have a couple more of the coaler and several of the turntable and traverser if anyone needs more detailed pics.

post-6950-0-55563700-1343541126_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-68601300-1343541146_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-09320200-1343541161_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-73501100-1343541174_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-49870400-1343541190_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-88359900-1343541203_thumb.jpg

Thank, Gordon, Julia and everyone else for the photos.

Andy is to be congratulated for organizing such events. My chance of attending are almost zero, but, hey, I live vicariously...

Anyone who has the opportunity to attend and does not must be crazy!

Best, Pete.

Thanks Andy for organising yet another super day.

Pendon is just astounding; Thanks to the team for allowing us a personal viewing and taking the time to answer all our questions. Wonderful inspirational modelling, followed by prototype inspiration just a few miles down the road.

Special thanks to Drew for organising the superb guided tour of Didcot and allowing this "recycled teenager" to clamber all over the engines. Back up in the King's cab, 46 years after climbing over its rusty hulk in Barry scrapyard, and then imagining doing a mile-a-minute standing on the broad gauge footplate of Firefly - Magic stuff!

Great to meet up again with so many from this unique "club". Especially good to see Mike and Graham and be able to chat with so many more, including, Nick,Julia, Ed and Gordon. Thanks to all for posting your photos too, reminders of a unique day.

All the very best,

John

• RMweb Premium

Again I can only echo what others have said , a brilliant day out covering all aspects of our

hobby , first we get to see modelling of the highest standard , and then a session on the

real thing .

The passion of the people at Pendon shines through in the way they communicate the details

of this masterpiece of modelling , and no queston was left unanswered .

Castle's guided tour of Didcot was also superb , it is a nice place to wander round and admire

all that is going on , but when you get the explanation of how , why , when etc it takes on a new

meaning as you realise just what a major task is undertaken be it a loco overhaul or coach

rebuild , again these people are just as dedicated as the Pendon team , they are just doing it

bigger .

I wont put up any photo's as so many of the ones I took seem to have been captured by others ,

that must say something about how certain areas of Pendon capture peoples interest , mostly

the amazing modelling followed by ones with trains in , how strange is that ?

So To Andy , Castle and all those that came along and shared the day a big thank you , I

was shattered by he time I got home .

Thanks to everyone for coming along yesterday; certainly an enjoyable day.

I lost my bet that Brinkly's SWAG team would be last after Ed got lost but virtually everyone was there for the briefing.

1.jpg

Sadly it was necessary to hold an identity parade as there had been a report of the 'wrong shade of green' attempting to gain access.

2.jpg

The platform-enders find they can indulge in a bit of spotting.

3.jpg

Mike and Stu look at some of the finer detail. "Can you see the robin on the fork in the garden?", "What fork?"

4.jpg

After a good lunch in the Plough twenty-odd of us head to Didcot; one of the covert "wrong shade of green" attendees had slunk off by this point just in case the paparazzi captured him inside the home of all things copper-capped. Drew kicks off the behind the scenes tour which was a real privilege which included some hidden treasures in the museum and the remarkably original lifting shop.

4a.jpg

Mr Pastry gets to try out some transport from his youth.

6.jpg

He later went on to win the afternoon's rivet counting challenge.

7.jpg

Two SWAG members play 'trains' in the carriage shed, "Choo-choo" chimed Re6/6.

7a.jpg

8.jpg

9a.jpg

10.jpg

Again thanks for Andy and others for making it a great day, It was good to get access to a few places we would not have been able to if we had not been shown round.

I am a friend of Pendon but have not been for a few years, one thing that did strike me is although some of the later rolling stock models are fantastic some of the earlier rolling stock on Dartmoor does look a a bit crude in places, if you look through the latest MRJ and the upgrade to the Hawksworth coach I think that this looks better than some of the coaches at Pendon, It just goes to show how far we have now come in the last few years with RTR.

Also I wonder if it would be possible to produce a building for Pendon by drawing it up in CAD and having all the brickwork lazer cut in their card, this would be just as good as hand embossing but take a fraction of the time, I know that lazer cutting window frames in paper, I can get them finer than cutting them out with a scapel.

David

I very nearly got lost on the way home too! At the moment of uncertainty the Golden Arches appeared, and after being revived by a cup of their coffee I asked one of the staff where I was. It wasn't where I thought either, but I was on the right road.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Being totally unable to compete with the pics already posted I have just one offering below - a 'snatch shot' and thus not so good (apologies) but an opportunity too good to miss as our great leader clearly wishes Mr Brunel had placed the rails even further apart in order to get engine footplates closer to the platform edge. (Others might offer a more suitable caption of course.)

But enough of such banter - until you get to the pic below - and thanks to Andy for organising such a superb day out (and for this time arranging for it to be fairly close to home for a number of us who have not had that advantage in the past :) ). A smashing mix of top notch and inspiring modelling followed by an excellent afternoon at Didcot with Castle acting as a very special and informative guide. Great as ever to meet RMweb faces old & new and enjoy a day of conversation and friendly banter as well as the more 'serious' business.

post-6859-0-76438500-1343554945_thumb.jpg

PS And Andy also found time to, hmm, 'concentrate' on some photography

post-6859-0-75940300-1343555198_thumb.jpg

one thing that did strike me is although some of the later rolling stock models are fantastic some of the earlier rolling stock on Dartmoor does look a a bit crude in places, if you look through the latest MRJ and the upgrade to the Hawksworth coach I think that this looks better than some of the coaches at Pendon, It just goes to show how far we have now come in the last few years with RTR.

It's still the sum of parts that impresses most but there's plenty of evidence on these pages where individual modellers can produce individual items beyond the 'Pendon standard'; I've told the Museum we'll put Re6/6 down for 30 elm trees for the Vale as I honestly believe there's none better, mind you TomE's 2mm tress take some beating so I think between them they could be fully employed.

I think you have a relevant point about laser-cutting for components and I'm sure the origins of the project wouldn't be averse to sourcing the best possible option.

• RMweb Gold

Huge thanks from me to Andy for organizing the visit, Stationmaster for arranging lunch, and Castle for the excellent tour of Didcot. Also many thanks to Rich for providing transport!

Being my first visit to Pendon I'm still slightly in awe of the shear scale of the project and the incredible attention to detail. Well worth a visit for those who've never been! I won't duplicate the excellent photos already posted, but here is a short video. Not the best, the iphone struggled with the lighting and glass a little, but you get the idea!

[media=']

[/media]

Again, thanks to all who organized the day and everyone else for the excellent company!

Tom.

Being totally unable to compete with the pics already posted I have just one offering below - a 'snatch shot' and thus not so good (apologies) but an opportunity too good to miss as our great leader clearly wishes Mr Brunel had placed the rails even further apart in order to get engine footplates closer to the platform edge. (Others might offer a more suitable caption of course.)

Ha ha :) It looks as though I was being somewhat timid about the jump but I recall trying not to land on the Italian family we acquired for parts of the tour.

Archived