2nd radius curves.

Hello.

I might be getting a new layout which has 2nd radius curves and i would like to know could i run my virgin pendolino,class221,class220,170,mk3s,mk2s and Hornby hsts and dvts.

Also could i run the eurostar on them?

Also i dont just want to be running these slow i would prefare it if i could run them at fast speeds.

Would this be possible on 2nd radius track?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I think that these days, manufacturers use 2nd radius curves as the 'minimum' when designing locos. This seams like a sensable compromise given the maufacturers want the same models to sell to both the 'train set' and 'serious moddler / collector markets. The downside however is that in most cases things like front steps cannot and cylinder drain cocks cannot be fitted if using 2nd (or even 3rd radius curves for that mater) and on locos like Hornby's Britania this requirement to go round 2nd radius curves has given us the flangeless trailing wheel arangement. On DMUs it leads to things like the obstacle deflector on the 153s being mounted on the bogie rather than on the underframe as on the real thing.

My Javelin runs round 1R curves happily enough, though I doubt a Pendolino would (due to the tilt), or a Eurostar (due to the articulation). Maybe they would on 2R - not sure.

All I can suggest is picking up a couple of 2R curves and trying them for yourself!

Archived