Edinburgh 28th-29th April

Chameleon

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations to the Thistle Modellers for resurrecting the Portobello Show, a successful effort judging by the conversations with fellow modellers when I visited it over the 2 days.

With regard to next year, for those travelling by train to the Waverley, the Lothian Region bus numbers 15 and 26 will take you to Portobello High Street with the stop for the exhibition being across the road from the Town Hall.

Prior to the ongoing Trams fiasco the bus stop for the 26 was on the other side of Princes Street opposite the Waverley Steps however at present it involves a walk to York Place about 5 minutes away. Bus stops seem to change frequently to the point that even taxi drivers don't know what's going on. The Almighty only knows when things will get back to a semblance of normality regarding transport here as any local will testify.

Re the suitability of somewhere more central - it's just not on as once suitable venues have disappeared in the property speculation that has gone on here for the past couple of decades. Unfortunately greed for excess money in property speculation has ruined the town centre hence the reason very few locals shop centrally preferring to go the the shopping centres in the suburbs or Livingston. Yes progress is a great thing!

Same here. In fact it might be me you see on the train! I looked up the Lothian Buses website to see what buses go past , but in the end decided it was just going to be too much trouble to get there, even if I knew where to get off! I'm in Bishopton and like you travel to most exhibitions by train , making the day of it. You missed Ayr , by the way. Usually a sizeable exhibition, I think around last week in September.

Yes , sorry forgot Ayr. Perfect example of what I was saying, a nice wee train ride then a good exhibition to wonder round for an hour or so. I also checked out First and Lothian websites and although pretty good at interpreting these things was slightly bemused as to what bus would have worked. I thought it might be a number 4, but apparently I got it wrong!

Congratulations to the Thistle Modellers for resurrecting the Portobello Show, a successful effort judging by the conversations with fellow modellers when I visited it over the 2 days.

With regard to next year, for those travelling by train to the Waverley, the Lothian Region bus numbers 15 and 26 will take you to Portobello High Street with the stop for the exhibition being across the road from the Town Hall.

Prior to the ongoing Trams fiasco the bus stop for the 26 was on the other side of Princes Street opposite the Waverley Steps however at present it involves a walk to York Place about 5 minutes away. Bus stops seem to change frequently to the point that even taxi drivers don't know what's going on. The Almighty only knows when things will get back to a semblance of normality regarding transport here as any local will testify.

Re the suitability of somewhere more central - it's just not on as once suitable venues have disappeared in the property speculation that has gone on here for the past couple of decades. Unfortunately greed for excess money in property speculation has ruined the town centre hence the reason very few locals shop centrally preferring to go the the shopping centres in the suburbs or Livingston. Yes progress is a great thing!

too true the situation in edinburgh is little short of a joke in my opinion, you have other city/town councils that actively support local shows as this fills town halls and or sports centres that may not be otherwise used very often. and as for a suitable venue for an edinburgh show i agree about the dissapearance of suitable places to hold a decent show. i can remember - just - when there was a show at the heriots school in edinburgh and that was good (mind it was a few years ago) its just a pitty that the local councils dont seem to take much interest as, it would be nice if they did and promote the hobby in edinburgh.

Archived