Quality and content of Model Rail

redspecial

Hi,

Just wondered what the general opinion is on the latest editions of Model Rail ?

In my own honest opinion I have found recent editions to be lacking a little in content, More like a catalogue with reviews and adverts. I only find the odd article that draws any attention, finding that rather than go into depth on features,we get lots of quick articles like top ten tips.

I also am very disappointed at the quality of the magazine, finding it printed on not much more than newspaper.

I have been a subscriber for a few years now, So have been thinking long and hard about continuing.

I also subscribe to BRM and have seen this magazine come on in leaps and bounds.

I have spoken amongst my friends and the feeling seems to be not just my own.

What do you people think?

Well some agree and some disagree but we've had the same old arguments before, let's not have them again.

Feel free to let us know what response you received to your letter - I assume you've let Model Rail know your views ?

I thought a whole point of a forum was to be free to express my own honest opinion.

I emailed modelrail@bauermedia.co.uk but have yet to obtain a response. Since I am subscriber and pay my money each month, I feel I am entitled to air my view. Good or Bad. My comments were made with regard to recent editions of the magazine.

I see you are new to this forum. I don't know if you have been "lurking" a while, if you have you will know that you are expected to know what has been covered before. :sarcastic: . You could of course use the search facility that we are always being told is easy!

FWIW I agree with you. there is a thread about Model Rail running, why the Mod couldn't tell you more politely and move the post I don't know.

If nobody else has said so, welcome to the forum, and your opinions are valued.

Ed

Thanks Ed, What a decent chap!

I did find the reply a little abrupt. :(

I am not after starting any wars or on-line feuds at all.

Sharing an interest with like minded people should be fun. If I have stumbled into Forum politics, then I appologise :rolleyes:

I see you are new to this forum. I don't know if you have been "lurking" a while, if you have you will know that you are expected to know what has been covered before. :sarcastic: . You could of course use the search facility that we are always being told is easy!

FWIW I agree with you. there is a thread about Model Rail running, why the Mod couldn't tell you more politely and move the post I don't know.

If nobody else has said so, welcome to the forum, and your opinions are valued.

Ed

Well if you had reported it Ed I might have, but of course I have nothing better to do than to read every single posting and then search for a suitable topic to merge it with.

Thanks Ed, What a decent chap!

I did find the reply a little abrupt. :(

I am not after starting any wars or on-line feuds at all.

Sharing an interest with like minded people should be fun. If I have stumbled into Forum politics, then I appologise :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum redspecial you have not started a war nor any forum politics , just a simple error we have all made and evidently caught a certain some one on one of his off days :-) Don't worry about it we have all done it and some continue to :-) This si a great place air your views and ideas so go for it and we will watch rad and respond !!

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Hi red,

Don't worry about Forum politics. Just keep it polite and you'll find this is the best place possible to discuss, literally, everything about railway modelling.

What the guys here don't know isn't worth knowing.

And, FWIW, as it's Model Rail related, I particularly like the magazine - been a purchaser (though not subscriber) since issue 3. Have to say though, the paper it's printed on is c**p!! Now that last comment may get me mired in Forum politics!! Lol!

Keep posting!

Jeff

To address the issue of paper quality Ben Jones has dropped me an email which I'm happy to pass on to readers:

Dear All,

Many thanks for all your feedback about Model Rail and the ongoing issue of paper quality and production values. As you may be aware, Model Rail is published by Bauer Media, a large multi-national media company which buys paper in vast quantities. Understandably, given the current economic climate, it seeks to keep its publishing costs under control by using economies of scale when purchasing paper. This standardisation of paper stocks does not affect many of the company's magazines but it has had a detrimental effect on Model Rail, which was traditionally on a much heavier paper stock.

As you can imagine, the Model Rail editorial team is hugely frustrated that the paper currently used detracts from the quality of the product, the superb photography from the likes of Chris Nevard and the articles we publish. I have been lobbying Bauer senior management for better paper consistently for the last three years (at least!). It's been a long process but I believe that we are finally making some headway.

I've been asked to provide evidence that our readers regard this as a major issue, and that it's a deterrent to potential new/lapsed readers.

So, we need your help – if you're unhappy with the production and paper quality of Model Rail, please write to me at modelrail@bauermedia.co.uk and tell us what you think. The more evidence we can gather from readers, lapsed readers, subscribers and people who don't buy the magazine, the more chance we have of winning the argument and giving Model Rail the production quality it deserves.

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best

Ben Jones

Archived