Grass tuft uncouplers

• RMweb Gold

Hi.

I have seen mention of grass tuft uncouplers in a few recent magazine articles. They sound quite effective and simple to make, yet relatively discreet.

Can anyone tell me what is the best material to make them with and how high they should be in 4mm scale.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Can we resurrect this query? Anyone elaborate on making of tuft uncouplers, height, positioning etc? Do those available from International Models work as well as home brew? Was a mention in July RM article on Chapel Lane Sidings but no clue as to how make / install.

Can we resurrect this query? Anyone elaborate on making of tuft uncouplers, height, positioning etc? Do those available from International Models work as well as home brew? Was a mention in July RM article on Chapel Lane Sidings but no clue as to how make / install.

I have not tried them but I suspect that the scenic grass tufts are too short and/or not stiff enough.

I intend experimenting with bunches of bristles cut from a spare household paint brush.

I will report my findings in due course...

As a start I have removed the hook from the right hand end of each wagon.

Stock is propelled from left to right into the siding.

As each wagon passes through the tuft the hook on the left hand end is raised.

If the train stops while the hook is raised, then it can pull away leaving the wagon in the siding.

To pick it up, the wagon is propelled right past the tuft until the hook drops into the coupling loop on the propelling vehicle.

You can then draw it away through the tuft and the hook should remain engaged in the loop on the adjacent wagon or loco.

Where I need to keep stock running in rakes, I leave the hook on both ends.

Archived