Amsterdam train crash

roythebus

Went to post this last week but the site was down..

Has anyone got any more details on the train crash in Amsterdam last week? It seems from the news reports that there were no fatalities and seemed to be a relatively low-speed collision, possibly what we call a SPAD.

No doubt we'll have to wait for the full report from the Dutch equivalent of the RAIB for the complete story.

As an aside, has the report on the tragic Belgian crash been released yet? It happened a couple of years ago now.

I note the Dutch government has resigned too!

Sorry to hear about the sad death, and I hope the drivers both make a full recovery.

It seems most train collisions are caused by trains missing red signals (SPAD).

SPADS resulting in collisions during normal operations are relatively rare, due to the existence of various levels of ATP and the existence of interlockings. There do seem to be a worrying number of SPAD-like incidents during temporary SLW for engineering works, however. In recent weeks, there has been one in Poland, prior to that in the Metz area of France, and several others.

SPADS resulting in collisions during normal operations are relatively rare, due to the existence of various levels of ATP and the existence of interlockings.

Post #3 suggests this one might be one of those relatively rare exceptions.

And the repercussions from this were presumably the reason why all travellers to Amsterdam were being advised to contact EuroStar representatives while I was waiting to board my ES to Brussels at St. P's on Monday...

The NS doesn't seem to have the same fetish that NR has for removing every set of points within 100km! So presumably this sort of incident won't have the same sort of effect it would in the UK?

• RMweb Gold

The NS doesn't seem to have the same fetish that NR has for removing every set of points within 100km! So presumably this sort of incident won't have the same sort of effect it would in the UK?

Possibly but maybe not. That stretch is very busy and because the Dutch work to the standard UIC fiche for calculating capacity there is what we in Britain would tend to think of as 'more railway than is really needed' to run the services using it. Thus there are benefits when things go awry but the downside is that someone has to pay for it.

I remember visiting the then new Amsterdam CS signalling control room back in the late 1990s and 'marvelling' at the fact that it controlled no greater track mileage than the new York power 'box had controlled when commissioned nearly half a century earlier although there plans to extend Amsterdam's are to cover a much large area using PC based workstations.

Archived