Railway Enthusiasts Club, Farnborough

REC Farnborough

Dear all

Having recently volunteered myself as the Club's 'Publicity Officer', it's about time I earned my keep and introduce you to the Club, it's layouts and other activities.

The club was formed in 1953, so we are one of the older railway clubs in the country. That said, the initial premise for forming the club was to enable members to follow their interest in 12"- ft scale! The modelling aspect followed later.

Currently the Club has layouts in 'N' gauge, 'OO' (proprietary and 'finescale'), 'EM' and 'O' gauge finescale. In addition members have their own layouts (sometimes exhibited on behalf of the club) in other areas of interest such as '009'.

The club holds a 'general' meeting every Tuesday night in it's own premises off Hawley Lane in Farnborough where (thanks to the licenced bar!) meetings are held in a generally convivial atmosphere culminating in a picture-based 'quiz' and weekly raffle. Modelling takes place dependent on the availablility of the various group members either during the Tuesday evening or on other days/evenings as required. In common with most clubs we do not have space for all the layouts to be worked-on simultaneously so there is a 'layout rota' which can be found on the clubs main web-site at http://www.rec-farnborough.org.uk/ However, most club members come in any case to the regular Tuesday evening 'meet'.

Where (due to the vagaries of the 'Julian Calendar') a month has FIVE Tuesdays in it, the fifth Tuesday is normally designated as a 'special interest' night with guest speakers or possibly a social event such as a club barbeque etc.

The Club is a 'broad Church' and welcomes modellers of all interests and abilities. Membership is normally granted to those aged sixteen years or over - however we do encourage younger modellers to tear their parents away from their computers and come to the Club! So, if you live in the general area, drop by - you can be sure of a friendly welcome!

Anyone interested in further details can either 'PM' me, or email 'info@rec-farnborough.org.uk'

Next post will start to feature the layouts!

Regards

Ian Barefoot

• 2 years later...

FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF A PROSPECTIVE MEMBER

Yesterday evening, I had the very great pleasure of visiting the Farnborough based Railway Enthusiasts' Club for the very first time.

Their clubhouse and facilities are most impressive. As for any nerves about joining a new club: I was made extremely welcome by everyone, and soon had my trains running around a very large layout as well as a pint of real ale in my hand. At this point I knew I'd found my new home, as well as the start of many new friendships with a great group of railway enthusiasts.

The "REC" is one of the oldest railway clubs around. They aren't just about modelling, and have many different 'special interest groups' within the club. On the modelling side, there's everything from N gauge through to O gauge and beyond, as well as the ubiquitous OO or DoubleO gauge. It was great to experience the very friendly, jocular, leg pulling between the groups, as well as noting that there was no elitism; if you like modelling trains (or buildings) it doesn't matter your skill level or what interests you have, you'll be amongst friends. Indeed, it was emphasized to me that, anything from a straight out of the box old Hornby (something you might have bought on Ebay) to highly-researched super-detailed and weathered 'super models', all are equally welcome.  

So, if you're looking for a new, extremely welcoming and friendly club,  with easy access to the M3, excellent parking, its own clubhouse, and a real ale bar, then I'd strongly suggest you pay a visit to Farnborough's famous Railway Enthusiasts' Club !

Rick

Archived