Viewing New Content Issue

Since the upgrade when I go to view new content it defaults to Forums/past 24hrs/Just items I follow.

If I deselct the last, and then go to page 1 all is fine, when I go to page 2 or rather try to, I am back to Forums/past 24hrs/just items I follow.

Hopefully in the fullness of time this issue may be sorted.

Khris

Could it be there is only one page ?

It seems ok for me on Forums/Past Month/All

There are problems though as "go to first unread post" has stopped working - along with the emailed link - both just go to the op of the first page of a topic.  

It seems that there are quite a few issues in the aftermath of the  attack

Could try deleting cookies?

Hi Kenton,

Below is all I have the option of:

Other

Just items I follow

Items I participated in

Items I started

Filter by forum

Currently there is no "all"option!

Khris

Sorry Khris, I didn't quite mean it as an option - but if none of the 'options' are highlighted then you get 'All' which is the default. What I'm not sure about is how to get back to that position without deleting cookies as I want to see all New content, not missing anything.

[Ed.]

Ah, simples just click again on the highlighted option eg. 'Just items I follow' and it acts like a toggle menu. deselecting it.

Sorry Khris, I didn't quite mean it as an option - but if none of the 'options' are highlighted then you get 'All' which is the default. What I'm not sure about is how to get back to that position without deleting cookies as I want to see all New content, not missing anything.

[Ed.]

Ah, simples just click again on the highlighted option eg. 'Just items I follow' and it acts like a toggle menu. deselecting it.

Working fine again now!

khris

I am experiencing the same/similar problem. Every time I click on "View New Content" I get the setting for "Just Items I Follow" switched on (even if I have just switched it off). It seems like the toggle for "Just Items I Follow" is broken? This then has the result of not being able to get past page 1 when viewing items I don't follow.

I do the following to reproduce:

1) Go to homepage

2) Click VNC

3) I'm taken to the new content page but with the "Just Items I Follow" switched on

4) I toggle "Just Items I Follow" off by clicking it

5) I'm taken to the first page of new content

6) I click page 2 of new content

7) I'm taken to the new content page but with the "Just Items I Follow" switched on again - infuriating!

I can never get past page 1 of new content and the "Just Items I Follow" seems permanently stuck on.

I'm using Safari 5.1.5 on OSX 10.7.3

Glad I'm not the only one suffering from this. I can't seem to set the priorities on the new content page, and just get the 'just items I follow' list, which as reported by lyneux above does not let me move on to page 2, as it returns to 'just items I follow'.

IE9, cleared browser history, Win7 64-bit.

clearing history will have no effect as it is a cookie based bit of information. You need to delete the many RMWeb cookies (probably only one but I don't know which) - remember if you delete cookies you will need to log in again.

Can you clear the browser's temporary files and cookies please and see if that has any effect?

I'm away from home so can't try on the laptop, but I'm experiencing the same problem browsing on the iPad with Safari and have cleared my cookies but to no avail.

I'll try with Firefox and Chrome when I get home to see if it is a browser dependent problem or somehow related to my user account.

I've been having diverse problems on here using Safari - mostly to do with long waits for pages to load. I cleared my cookies (I had 3500 of the things...) emptied the cache. Last night when most of Europe was asleep it was back to normal being very fast, indeed. Oncw I was awake it was even slower than ever.

Like a lot of others I've recently added SOPHOS to my IMac and I'm wondering whether it is that.

Like so many times, however, you feel like you are just chasing your tail.....it could my hard drive is failing for all I know.

Best, Pete.

Like so many times, however, you feel like you are just chasing your tail.....it could my hard drive is failing for all I know.

Done a hard drive defragment recently? lots of small fragmented files really slow down computers especially if they are part of the OS or programs. (This happens a lot to programs such as browsers that update themselves) It gets worse the larger the disk drive capacity gets and the higher the percentage it is filled. Browser caching in particular tends to be dropped on the disk all over the place - due to the relatively small size, hence the need to regularly clean up the cache.

Well I run the Disc Utility on my Imac every couple of days or so. Yesterday it informed me that "Repair Permissions" would take 14 hours! It didn't it took the usual 20 minutes or so.

I've often thought of getting a standalone program for it but everyone tells me I don't need to, so I dunno really...

Best, Pete.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had the same problem a week or so back, John. It is a software bug and thanks to Martin Wynne, the solution is here...

Hi Gordon,

There is a bug in the software. To escape from it, do this:

1. toggle off the Just items I follow option.

2. while it is showing off, under By time period change to a different time period from your existing setting.

3. go to View New Content again.

4. change back to the time period you actually want.

Hope this works for you. This IP.Board software is a constant battle of wits. :)

Martin.

Archived