swd a4 sound cuts out when coming to a stop why?

Rob Hayes

Hi all i have a Bachmann a4 with swd a4 sounds in and sounds great however somtimes when bringing the loco to a stop the sound totally shuts off. f1 is still active and the other functions will fire off as they should but the main loco sound will somtimes go completley off and stay off until i move the loco again and only when reaching speed step 2 will the sound return.

its rather anoying the chip is fine it is all working and no components have blown.

it is the lok 4 chip

im guessing its a cv issue or programing error.

Hi all i have a Bachmann a4 with swd a4 sounds in and sounds great however somtimes when bringing the loco to a stop the sound totally shuts off. f1 is still active and the other functions will fire off as they should but the main loco sound will somtimes go completley off and stay off until i move the loco again and only when reaching speed step 2 will the sound return.

its rather anoying the chip is fine it is all working and no components have blown.

it is the lok 4 chip

im guessing its a cv issue or programing error.

I think you may be right and this is a programming error.

Did you acquire this loco via Bachmann with a pre loaded sound project as you have mentioned that it has SWD sounds in it? Did you send the chip to SWD for a re-blow or buy as is?

To speed things up a little, if this is an RTR loco with sound then it is possible that this is a V4 chip with a V3.5 project loaded in and this may be causing the problem.

Basically, though and as always your first port of call is to the supplier as it is unlikely that a CV change will alter the way the sounds are played. You may wish to try using CV5 changes to check that the deceleration is not causing the problem. It is always best to ask the supplier to play the project in front of you both before purchase and during warranty or complaint filing so that the problem is identified to their ears. If it does not do it when they drive the loco then it will be a driving problem and you should insist that you drive the lpoco as normal to see where the difference lies.

well its come straight from swd, its an intermitent thing and does not always do it but it does occur often enough.

i will contact swd but its always good to ask on here in case others have encountered the problem or have the answers. cheers rob and by the way other than that sounds fantastic.

well its come straight from swd, its an intermitent thing and does not always do it but it does occur often enough.

i will contact swd but its always good to ask on here in case others have encountered the problem or have the answers. cheers rob and by the way other than that sounds fantastic.

Sometimes an intermittent fault is down to dodgy pick ups or dirty track. You have not specified if there are other locos performing fine under the same conditions or if this the only one on the track.

Sound decoders do draw more current than ordinary decoders and are quite sensitive to track and wheel condition.

Sometimes an intermittent fault is down to dodgy pick ups or dirty track. You have not specified if there are other locos performing fine under the same conditions or if this the only one on the track.

Sound decoders do draw more current than ordinary decoders and are quite sensitive to track and wheel condition.

nope your right i hadnt mentioned that, i regularly clean my track the track is clean, i have many sound locos none do this, the loco is brand new has been run in for a good while and is clean.

all the best rob

Archived