RMweb

using a flap to join the track

rafregt1

can someone help me with this problem , i am building a layout and because i do not want to crawl under the layout i am making a flap at the last bit but i am having a problem with the rail meeting at the end of the flap that comes down, but not the hinge side .that is all right as the rail is straight, but at the other end the rail starts to curve , is there a easy way for the rails to meet ,or because thay are curved i will always have a problem, thanks to anyone for any help

Is this a bit of baseboard that lifts up to allow access to a room with a continuous run round it?

the first thing I would do is make sure that the flap is going to come down in the same place each time, a bathroom door bolt will do the job, if it is a slight curve you should find it is ok provided care is taken on the alignment of the track over the join.

Is your last sleeper or two a soldered copper clad sleeper?

If it's still the original plastic sleepers then that will probably be the root of your problem.

many thanks for reply,yes the last part is plastic sleepers , but if i put in a copper clad sleeper will this affect my power as my layout is DCC all over

many thanks for reply,yes the last part is plastic sleepers , but if i put in a copper clad sleeper will this affect my power as my layout is DCC all over

As long as you put a deep cut int the copper on the sleeper the two rails won't be electrically joined and you can solder the rails to the copper sleeper so they won't move. You will of course have to secure the sleeper to the lifting flap.

And good advice, been there myself. fit a micro switch so the track is not live until the trap is DOWN, its possible to forget as I did and have a loco do a dive, Also do not fix one end of the track use a C/S woodscrew and washer across two of the sleepers so minor adjustment can be made if needed..Beeman.

Using copper clad also gives a great spot to feed power in.

Not that I've done it yet, but on the join between two boards on my layout I plan on using copper clad sleepers which are clad on both sides. Solder two sleepers together with a flat brass plate (with prototypical gap between the two ), then solder the rail to the (gapped) top copper.

Then the brass plate provides an ideal place to secure the sleepers with a small screw which is very easy to hide as it'll be below sleeper level and hidden between two sleepers.

Using copper clad also gives a great spot to feed power in.

Not that I've done it yet, but on the join between two boards on my layout I plan on using copper clad sleepers which are clad on both sides. Solder two sleepers together with a flat brass plate (with prototypical gap between the two ), then solder the rail to the (gapped) top copper.

Then the brass plate provides an ideal place to secure the sleepers with a small screw which is very easy to hide as it'll be below sleeper level and hidden between two sleepers.

Dont forget to cut between the sleepers underneath and above on the cooper clad or you will have a short.

• RMweb Gold

All good advice. However there will always be a little expansion contraction which will affect a joint on a curve more than one on the straight. Its always a toss up one convenience against another. Care in construction will limit problems.

Don

Archived