1950s/60s colour images of Walton MPD Liverpool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waltononthehill/page2/

best thing Ive seen in a long while, not many photos turn up of this location, let alone colour, most are of the local area around the shed, but there is a good few colour shots of the shed. Ive always wondered what it looked like, colour brings it to life.

being an ex CLC shed Walton had lots of ex LNER and GC locos, aswel as ex Midland and LMS.

the street scenes also are wonderful, look at the road vehicles, the buildings, colours, all great for modellers of this period.

Walton would actually make a fantastic layout, derelict station, tunnel, next to that 4 track engine shed, originally 6.

Mike

Wonderful evocative photos!

Reminds me of my home town in the 50s and 60s.

I remember Walton On The Hill from a school railway society trip in the very early 60s.

Walton was memorable because there was a named B1 on shed - Harry Hinchcliffe - and very few of us midlands lads had seen B1s let alone named ones.

Thanks for flagging these up Mike, really interesting. icon_thumbsup2.gif

I particularly liked the '67 street scenes; must have gone thro' the area countless times from '65 onwards on our fornightly to my Grandparents in Fazakerley and Kirkby.

IIRC the shed building was still there at least into the mid / late 70's.

Ormskirk and Rainford aint really Liverpool SN.

some modern day shots of how the flyover encroached into the rail tunnel, I wonder if this is the reason the branch was singled in the late 60s?

also theres still a few sleepers down there!!!

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=44845

Mike

Ormskirk and Rainford aint really Liverpool SN.

some modern day shots of how the flyover encroached into the rail tunnel, I wonder if this is the reason the branch was singled in the late 60s?

also theres still a few sleepers down there!!!

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=44845

Mike

Yes I know. Lived in Merseyside long enough to know that! Came across the Ormskirk branch item and thought that anyone interested in Walton might well be interested in that link too, that's all. Didn't intend to send it off topic on purpose.

Nice link again Mike to those tunnel pics.

sorry sn I wasnt being funny, Im from Walton myself (not the prison ;) and its just a little personal thing I have about areas outside Liverpool and Merseyside, or which have become Merseyside over recent years, along the lines of people saying its Liverpool when it aint. these areas are usually well catered for for archive material but Liverpool stuff seems quite rare. Ive never seen a decent shot of the coaling stage at Walton for example, or many shots of the Huskisson end.

Mike

Len said "Quite agree about much Liverpool stuff not being covered photographically".

I've seen many complaints from people about their areas not being covered much.

I complain about the Walsall area for instance!

There are areas which seem to have every square foot covered - the Samford Branch and the Harbourne Branch for instance seem to be as common as the proverbial.

Archived