Built in a day

Hello

I've had a bit of a break from railway modelling recently, not for any particular reason apart from the usual distractions [work, stuff to do in the house etc]. I found that every time I sat down with the intention of doing some modelling, I either got distracted or I thought up reasons to not do modelling [i haven't got such and such piece/material/paint/time etc].

It was awful weather here last Sunday so I set myself the challenge of building and painting something in a day, mixing up whatever colours I needed and using whatever markings and bits I had rather than obsessing about things being not quite right.

I chose a Parkside 16T mineral wagon for it's ease and quickness of construction and did all the painting with materials to hand. As you can see I didn't completely achieve my goal because the wagon still needs couplings and a load to hide the false floor inside but that aside I'm quite pleased with the results otherwise.

So if anyone else would like to take up the challenge of making something in a day, and actually finishing something for a change [i'm terrible for half finishing things], post your projects here for us to see!

Here's my 96.5% complete wagon:

post-3171-0-49429100-1336000424.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matto,

Love the work, like to know how you achieved the finish.

Rgds.......Mike

Hi Matto

Great finish on this 16 tonner.

I need a grounded van body for my quarry project. I've got the kit - so I'll give that a go!

Now which day will I be able to take off from the household chores...... :scratchhead:

Les

Hi Matto,

Love the work, like to know how you achieved the finish.

Rgds.......Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the comment. The 'rust' was created by first painting the wagon in a rusty brown colour. Masking fluid and salt were then applied in a random manner before the whole wagon was sprayed grey. Removing the masking fluid and salt gave an impression of the rust flecks which were then added to using a fine brush.

Hi Matto

Great finish on this 16 tonner.

I need a grounded van body for my quarry project. I've got the kit - so I'll give that a go!

Now which day will I be able to take off from the household chores...... :scratchhead:

Les

Hi Les, looking forward to seeing how you get on with your projest. Don't forget to post some pics when you're done!

That looks really good! i hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of tweaking your pic in Photoshop to show it off even better:

post-6668-0-36583100-1336383007.jpg

It all looks really good, the rust is very effective and the underframe looks the part as well - nice job.

Very nice indeed, a lovely finish.

A couple of minor points, one very easily attended to is the tiebar between the 'W irons' which shouldn't be there, at least, not on an unfitted wagon. The second is slightly trickier in that the brake lever, as it stands when pulled down will actually take the brakes off rather than, per the real thing, on. The lever on this side should have a reversing cam as shown in this link to Paul Bartlett's pages:

http://paulbartlett....83f13#h2f483f13

There is a third point which you're not going to like since it's slightly harder to put right: the number you have applied is wrong. Not in detail, but in a fairly fundamental fashion since the real B201032 was a 21.5 ton mineral on a 12' wheelbase chassis from the same batch as this one (another Paul Bartlett shot):

http://paulbartlett....a4b4b#h142a4b4b

The right hand panel should also have a Tare weight (i.e. the weight of the unladen wagon so that the weight of the load can be calculated). Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings - I've been there and done that myself - but it's a lesson to beware of transfer sheets; they are not always as well researched as one might like. This is no slight on the finish which is superb. A weathering job of this quality deserves to have the other details right too.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

Nice work on the wagon. I really need to get on with something myself. I also seem to have too many things on the go and take ages to get finished. Determined to get something finished without starting something new, unless I can finish in a day or two - sounds good to me!

Now where is my modelling knife ....

Martin - I don't mind at all. The tweak in Photoshop is a huge improvement over my original, thank you! Thank you also for your kind words. As a keen follower of your workbench/weathering thread on the 'old' RMWeb I feel honoured to receive such high praise!

Adam - thank you for pointing all that out. I suspected that the number may have been incorrect and I probably should have noticed details like the tiebar between W irons. However it was thinking about details like these [admitedly small and not hard to rectify I know] that was one of the reasons that I wasn't actually completing anything!

Mud - I think your modelling knife is probably on your workbench - I know that's where mine has been - it just hasn't been getting much use recently!

Glad to be of service - the number is fair enough, I had to look it up (but then I have the appropriate books handy). The detail, however, is far from difficult: Paul's site means that finding photo's to work from is really pretty straightforward - it took me all of 30 seconds and only that long because I didn't have the site book-marked on the laptop. I do now:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagons

It's much quicker to get things right the first time. I wish I could manage that consistently...

Adam

Suitably inspired after my efforts with the 16T mineral wagon, I attempted another 'built in a day' project today, but didn't quite finish it. This time I tackled a Parkside 21.5T mineral wagon.

Since the photo was taken, I have painted the underframe.

post-3171-0-58505600-1336687162.jpg

Archived