Scotrail 47 710 Sir Walter Scot - snowploughs?

Michanglais

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether anyone knew if the 2012 announced Scotrail 47 Sir Walter Scot will be fitted with snowploughs, or not?

I've not found any pictures of the prototype with the loco sporting them, but then they seemed to be added and removed at will...

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael

these are usually separate plastic parts which come in the box in a small packet along with some other details like etched nameplates, brake pipes etc. i doubt they will be pre-fitted michael

i cant find any evidence to suggest these locos wore ploughs - certainly not in regular service anyway. every photo i have searched out for this actual locomotive was plough-less!

Thanks for the link, Dave - very useful. Definitely looks like you're right, certainly about this loco. There are pictures of it in all kinds of states of repair and not a snowplough to be seen!

Cheers,

Michael

Oddly enough the ScotRail 47/4's - 47461 and 47541 that Bachmann have made models of DID wear snowploughs in real life that operated on the same routes as the push-pulls! Similarly I haven't seen any pictures of the push-pull 47/7's with snowploughs but as said this is the point a flurry of pictures show up!

47/7s never carried 'ploughs. The Scottish locos that carried 'ploughs, if they were in the 47421-47585 range, had their ETH cable/socket moved on to the bufferbeam and none of the 47/7s received this modification. Another good example is 47517 - didn't get the repositioned ETH and never carried 'ploughs.

Oddly enough the ScotRail 47/4's - 47461 and 47541 that Bachmann have made models of DID wear snowploughs in real life that operated on the same routes as the push-pulls!

But, they were also more likely to work on other routes than the E-G, routes that in some cases had lower prevailing speeds and lesser traffic densities. AFAIK the same logic prevails with the 47/7s as it did with the 27/1s and 27/2s before them, which also never carried ploughs during the period that they were working the push-pulls - their primary purpose was to slog back and forth at 90mph or more on a heavily trafficked line in the Lowlands.

I sense there's a bit of an urban myth growing in the modelling world, that all ScR locos carried snowploughs - in actuality there would never have been enough ploughs to fit all locos and it would make sense to prioritise other class members. Somebody like Bob65b will know better than me, but I'd imagine that ploughing anything other than a very light skimming of snow at that sort of speed would be a Pretty Bad Idea anyway.

I made the mistake of fitting snowploughs to a 47/7 before I realised that they did not carry them.

Will now have to swap the chassis with another one of my Heljan 47's that will be a suitable body to carry ploughs.

post-383-0-51844400-1336300036_thumb.jpg

Archived