Hornby/Lima Class 87 flush glazing

Michanglais

Hi all,

I've just acquired an old Lima 87 (sorry, as far as I can see there's no Lima forum - but given that Hornby inherited the the moulds...) and was wondering whether I could save myself a lot of filing if there's a plug-and-play flush-glazing set available?

I'm a bit out of touch (just returning to UK modelling), but seem to remember a company with the word Southern (?) in it and I've seen Laserglaze, but can't find a list of what they produce.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Oh, and if anyone's got any ideas for a replacement pantograph...

Cheers,

Michael

Guest 40-something

Hi Michael

Try East Kent Models to see if they supply new glazing for the 87, if not South Eastern Flushglaze do packs for your loco.

No thoughts on the pantograph Im afraid,

Hi Michael

Try East Kent Models to see if they supply new glazing for the 87, if not South Eastern Flushglaze do packs for your loco.

No thoughts on the pantograph Im afraid,

That's the one I had in the back of my mind - South Eastern flushglaze. Thanks Joe!

Hello Michael, re. Pantograph, you might want to hold on for a month or two and see what Dapol's replacement 00 pantograph is going to look like. Depends if you're looking for a sprung pantograph, as Dapol's will be plastic / cosmetic. Personally, I'm looking to have fixed height pantographs on my layout.

Hello Michael, re. Pantograph, you might want to hold on for a month or two and see what Dapol's replacement 00 pantograph is going to look like. Depends if you're looking for a sprung pantograph, as Dapol's will be plastic / cosmetic. Personally, I'm looking to have fixed height pantographs on my layout.

Unless they do something with a special base, nothing will fit. Lima shortened the distance between the insulator supports to fit the base on the diamond frame pan they used, then later on engineered a plastic base that resembles that of a Brecknell-Willis Highspeed pan and mated it with a single arm.

Hornby could have corrected this error when they re-released the loco, but instead came up with another midget base to fit the still-incorrect roof. So you can either rebuild the body, or try to find one of the earlier pans as a spare.

Hornbys class 86 pantograph base is about the right size, as ive fitted it to my Lima 87 that ive been working on, as 298 says the base is too short, the onely way to fix this is to rebuild it completely, I did mine with plastic section and filler which is pretty easy to do

NL

• 8 months later...

How about a hurst models pantograph? Not sure if that's the right type of 'pan' but try somerfeldt, they look very good and a big improvement on Hornby's bad pantograph which is a bit basic.

Hope that helps...

For the Hurst models Pantograph, it is of the correct type but ive heard it can be hard to assemble. The other problem is Hurst models never have them in stock as they are a part time run business, but you couldemail them and ask if they are going to be getting any more in

NL

Archived