How difficult or expense is it to change the livery on a loco and/or tender?

Many locos for just plain renumbering there are various instructions on here about how to remove the number on different manufacturers products. Then get a batch of transfers and hey presto a new number.

Many model shops can do this for you for a fee.

For complete repaints there are many on here that can do this (for a fee) if you do not feel confident enough to do it yourself. Or speak to your local shop and they'll do it for a fee.

Many locos for just plain renumbering there are various instructions on here about how to remove the number on different manufacturers products. Then get a batch of transfers and hey presto a new number.

Many model shops can do this for you for a fee.

For complete repaints there are many on here that can do this (for a fee) if you do not feel confident enough to do it yourself. Or speak to your local shop and they'll do it for a fee.

Companies such as Modelmaster Decals can supply renumbering packs for some steam locomotives where a complete number is printed on a coloured background. This is simply applied over the existing number. If used carefully they are, in my opinion, fairly good.

Jeremy

Guest 40-something

Depending on what your wanting done it can be very easy to do yourself if just a renumber is needed, as recommended above the Modelmaster Packs are great, and they also do specific numbers and etched plates if your wanting a named loco.

For basic renumbering, remove the existing numbers with either T-cut on a cotton bud (works a treat on Bachmann and you dont need to gloss varnish) or a fibreglass pencil (Hornby & Heljan), remembering to gloss varnish the decal area before adding the new numbers

Repainting a complete loco can be very easy (BR unlined black - can be undertaken by the most inexperience modeller) or very hard (fully lined LMS or LNER or Network SouthEast - best left to the fully competant!)

Cost wise a full renumber would be just a few quid doing it yourself, repainting and decaling an un-lined black loco would cost around £20 for materials. Paying folk to do the work for you depends on the individuals rates and can easily run into 3 figures depending on how complex the livery is.

Cost-wise, if you are talking rtr, and the livery you want is available, it will be cheaper to buy what you want and sell (part-exchange?) your existing model. DIY will be cheaper, and may be more satisfying.

As others have said, re-numbering/renaming, and re-paint into plain black are the best start. For Heaven's sake don't start with your latest pride and joy! Practice on something old and tatty, or even buy and build an Airfix loco kit.

Personally I try to buy only manufacturer's weathered stock. I can bring myself to weather these a bit more, but am very reluctant to touch immaculate loco's.

Happy painting

Ed

Personally I try to buy only manufacturer's weathered stock. I can bring myself to weather these a bit more, but am very reluctant to touch immaculate loco's.

That's an interesting (and very sound) viewpoint Ed, must admit it hadn't occurred to me. At best, you'll produce something multi-layered and individual, at the other extreme you're unlikely to make it look worse :imsohappy:

Archived