Graham Farish Split Chassis

floss_4

I want to re bogie a split chassis class 50. I have seen some bogies advertised as class 47 ones. The basic mechanism looks the same. Can I use them and put the frames on from the class 50? Most gratefull if anyone can confirm.

Yeah IIRC to reiterate Dr.Al, the class 37, 47, 57, 56, 55, 50 bogie and gear towers are essentially the same mechanically. Bar the 37,47 and 57 (of the old type anyway) they all use different vogue frame mouldings

I didn't understand the statement about the 37, 47, and 57 "vogue frame" mouldings as I've never heard the term vogue frame before. But Alan and Bruce are correct. On the "1st generatlon" of Bachmann Farish split chassis diesels, side frames for the Class 37, 50, and 55 are exactly the same moulding and therefore interchangeable. The Class 47 and 57 side frames are also the same moulding and interchangeable with each other, too, but they are a different moulding that the sideframes for the 37, 50, and 55. However, as Bruce said, all of the foregoing side frames use the same bogie/gear tower assembly, and the 1st generation Bachmann Farish Class 52s and 56s do, too.

Now, with regard to POOLE made bogie sideframes, Poole built Class 40 bogie sideframes are the same as China built Farish Class 40 bogie sideframes and the two are interchangeable. So are the side frames for Class 20s. However, none of the Poole made sideframes for any other class will fit a China made model of the same class, nor vice-versa. They are all different mouldings. Bachmann changed the gearing in the bogie towers so had to change the geometry of the gaps in the bottoms of the bogie side frames to accomodate the new gears. The new gaps are in different places compared to the gaps in the Poole built side frames and if you try to use a China-made side frame on a Poole-made bogie tower (and vice-versa) you'll find you can't fit the side frame because the gears and the gaps to accomodate them don't align. (Go ahead and ask me how I know this...)

Matt

if you try to use a China-made side frame on a Poole-made bogie tower (and vice-versa) you'll find you can't fit the side frame because the gears and the gaps to accomodate them don't align. (Go ahead and ask me how I know this...)

Hmm, not sure this is true - I've got many Poole locos fitted with Bachfarish sideframes....

Cheers,

Alan

Alan, I stand corrected. I just had a good look. Bachfarish side frames will indeed fit onto a Poole built bogie tower as the gaps for the gears are enlarged relative the Poole ones. But a Poole built sideframe (save the for the Class 20 and 40) will not fit a Bachmann Farish bogie tower (as the gaps for the gears in the Poole sideframes are too small for the Bachmann gears). Despite all my considerable mixing about with the parts of my models, through some fluke I must never have tried to put a new Bachmann side frame on an old Poole chassis, and only tried the other way around.

Matt

Archived