Tren de Soller

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

In Majorca earlier this week and managed to take a trip on the Tren de Soller (and the associated tramway down to Port de Soller). It celebrates its centenary this year.

I was rather disappointed. It's a victim of its own success and charges a very high fare for a rather disappointing experience. Carriages have been much "restored" in recent years and lack the character they had when I was last there (40 years ago). Ordinary passengers (if you can be called ordinary when you are paying €28) are very much second-best to the special trains laid on for organised groups. A jack-booted lady in a black shirt was refusing (very aggressively) all access to Soller station when these special trains were due.

I can't see why they could not run a better timetable and just reserve some of the carriages for the tour groups.

The other lines on Majorca are now modernised and run, together with a new Metro line) from a very impressive train/bus interchange sited below the site of the original terminus and carriage sheds.

I always found it better to travel on the non tourist trams- doing it myself rather than an organised tour was always cheaper- about a third of the cost.

The bus ride through the mountains back to Alcudia is spectacular. It was always unnerving getting tickets as the booking office opened a few minutes before the Tram departed- bonus was the bus from Alcudia terminated across the road.

Steve

I've often found that booking thro' the hotel, or travel company incurs a higher price than travelling as a 'walk up' passenger.

It's many years since I last visted Soller and Puerto de Soller, things may have changed.(I'll have to dig out my photos)

As an example, whilst staying in Sorrento I asked the hotel receptionist if they could book me on an organised trip to Pompeii.

Yes he could, but he advised me to walk the short distance to the station, catch a train (whoopee !) for Napoli (not so whoopee !) which stops almost directly outside the 'ruins' at Pompeii - for a fraction of the price, and allowing us much more time at the site.

Brian R

Archived