Blog- The Fatadder's 2010 Blog - Some thoughts on Bridges

RSS Fetcher

This post will make a lot more sense to those who have a copy of 'Bridges for Modellers' by L.V. Wood........

I've been spending some time today thinking about what to do with the 3 bridges on the layout.

For the bridge at the platform end I have decided to go with something very similar to the prototype at Botley, in having an arch bridge of brick construction with no wing walls. As with the prototype the gap between the inside of the arch and the edge of the platform will be quite tight.

The footbridge I am still undecided on,

I am favouring the idea of kitbashing either a kit or rtr bridge (mostly because I would prefer to avoid the expense of etching components for the mesh), Of the designs I have looked at it seems to be between the two Ratio products, although both would need fairly hefty modification to get the bridge to carry across to the road. I really like the new covered type discussed in this thread, particularly after looking at Chris Nevard's photo showing a similar bridge on the SE division. The biggest problem is that its not a stright topped bridge, and the lattice would mean buying 2 of them in order to extend to the road. on the plus side the painted finish makes things a lot easier to paint.

The other option is Ratio's concrete footbridge, again this is the high centre type, but this is slightly less of an issue given the concrete design will be very easy to expand with plasticard on one side. Not keen on painting and weathering concrete though.

Not sure which I will go with yet...

Finally there is the farm bridge at the other end, this is where the book comes in, figures 93, 118 and 120 show the bridge I am planning on basing it on. This is a brick arch over the mainline and a girder bridge over the branch. will be based off the drawings in the book, adapted to fit the location.

View the full article

Archived