DCC Beginner - Advice please!

Hello All,

I'm considering going DCC for my new layout, and would like to pick some people's brains about which systems I should be considering. The layout is going to be a small (10' x 1'6") shunting yard in EM gauge running steam-ae stock. As the layout is small it is unlikely that I will ever need to run more than 2 locos at once. I'm not looking for sound, lights or any other functions, all I'm after is the ability to 'drive' a specific engine (as opposed to powering up cab control sections in DC). I don't want to run signals or points from it either.

One thing that I'm very keen to get is good slow speed running - I'm using Alex Jackson couplings so accuracy in movements such as easing up the couplings will be important.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that people have for systems to look at, as well as any advice on decoders.

Ta in advance,

Ben

ps - I'll be starting a forum on the layout soon, just need to get a house move out of the way first :)

Systems - do a search of the forum, the topic has been done to death many a time. Suggest a budget of under £200 for what you've described, and you should come away with a fair bit of change from that budget.

Decoders - this is where the slow running will come, the "system" has very little influence on slow running. Some decoders **are** better than others. I find Zimo to be worth the expense for slow speed control, but they are expensive compared to other makers. For really good slow running, adding "stay alive" capacitors to the loco will help, the more storage the better. There are ways of doing this with very limited space in the loco, where a trade-off between smaller 16v rated capacitors may be worth it over larger 25v rated, but only if you know the track voltage of your system.

Alex Jacksons - what you need is my bits and pieces, and have the coupling open/close on a function key on the handset: http://nigelcliffe.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/l-0-4-0-electric-nearing-completion.html Even without the on-board coupler mechanism, decoders which can offer a function key for "ease up to couplings" might be of use, those include Zimo (all types), CT (all types), Lenz (Silver/Gold "plus" models), ESU Loksound V4 and LokPilot V4.

- Nigel

Archived