Great Western Journal No 82 Spring 2012

DavidCPorter

Just bought the latest Great Western Journal. Contents as follows:-

Passenger Operations at Paddington Station Part 7

GWR Horse Traffic and Horseboxes Part 5

A Honeybourne visit

'Bulldogs' At Work Part 2

Having had a quick glance at it I think this is an excellent issue.

David

It certainly is. The article on Paddington in more modern times is well worth a read and that on the N16 horseboxes contains as complete a list of brandings as one would wish!

Chris

I think the GWJ has gone into book serialisation, Parts 2, 5 and 7! Are they running out of subject matter to cover?

Though all the articles are of usual high standard - I think I would have preferred them to have been less wordy or published separately as a book/soft back/pamphlet in a similar way to the excellent book on MINKS.

As someone who has little interest in Paddington in modern times and question the relevance to GW, in particular Part 7 is labouring it a bit.

Also although I do like my horse boxes and welcome any collation on the subject, if it isn't your particular interest Part 5 must be beginning to pale.

Not an issue for me I'm afraid. I used to prefer GWJ when it used to feature articles focusing in depth on smaller provincial junctions or branch termini and usually in a single issue. These seem to have disappeared over the last 3 years.

The Paddington "part work" should be a book - 180pp already + this issue and eked out since Summer 2009.

Guest dilbert

Thanks for the reminder - I need to get my sub for GWRJ renewed...

Having all the 83 editions published since 1991, I don't have a problem with the serialisation of the themes presented... it allows for errors, typos plus additional information (if you read the pages of correspondance) to be addressed relatively quickly - something that reprints of books take longer to achieve.

If WSP were to do something similar with the SR and LNER, I'm sure it would prove popular as well... dilbert

For the Southern see Noodlebooks and the Southern Way series which appears somewhat quarterly on a schedule worthy of GWRJ. Larger format. Reminds me I will have to prod Nigel Bird to send me #18.

Archived