Callander & Oban passenger engines in BR days

Jim49

• 3 weeks later...

This, and some other RMweb topics are so good that they persuaded me to join the forum!

There is a photo in a Railway Magazine in the late 50s showing Class 4 2-6-0 No 76114 arriving at Oban on the 4am from Glasgow on 5th June 1958.  Photo is also of interest being a rare photo of the consist of this train: ex-LMS "porthole" CK, ex-LMS "period 1" SK, full bogie brake, and two suburbans (LNER design non-gangwayed CK and ex-LMS identity obscured) - possibly being worked empty to Oban for use on Ballachulish branch services.

That is another interesting subject - Oban line train formations!

John

Hi John. Welcome to RM Web and thanks for the information about the loco and its train. Just a guess but the elderly Period 1 coach may have been a Camping Coach for use on the Ballachulish branch. 

Jim49

I imagine the non-corridor subs would be Thompson composites; being built up to about 1953 these became to all intents and purposes a BR standard non-gangway vehicle, particularly on ScR secondary services in the 1950-67 period. They certainly appear regularly in photos of the Ballachullish trains during this period.

I have now worked out how to add attachments so here is a scan of the photo.  

The LMS "period 1" looks to be in passenger use - as they were into the late 50s on the line.   The Ballachulish branch camping coaches were usually ex-CR vehicles (see McRae "British Railways Camping Coach Holidays Part 2"). 

The suburban CK is Thompson design. Those used on the Ballachulish branch usually had the round-cornered windows so were BR-built examples.

The other suburban is LMS design.

post-25046-0-20402900-1420279546_thumb.jpeg

Archived