Good Model Railway shop in Newcastle?

Chris116

• RMweb Premium

I am going to be going to Newcastle for the day on 2nd February to have a ride around the Tyne and Wear Metro. While I am there I should have time to visit any good Model Railway shops and i was wondering if any members had any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

None in Newcastle itself except Modelzone. Rolling Stock out in North Shields is probably the best in the area. Walking distance from the Metro station as well.

Many thanks for that Ragtag I have looked at the map on "UK Model Shop Directory" and it looks like a very short walk. I will be getting a Day Rover ticket so the ferry is on my to do list.

Chris

If you're in North Shields there's also Gladstones in the town centre. They're not a railway shop per se, although they do keep some stock. They're far and away the best in the area for things like plasticard, brass rod, and scenic materials. If you fancy a bit more of a trip theres Townsfoot Models in Hexham, the shop is actually on the station platform in one of the old buildings (although there is a risk you'd be travelling there on a nodding donkey - you have been warned!)

There is a Model Shop in Stanley--Durham Trains of Stanley, but would probably be out of your reach if you are only going to Newcastle. May I ask what interest is in the Tyne and Wear Metro? I actually work for the Metro, on the Plant side(Lifts/Escalators). I use Durham Trains all the time now.

Martin

• RMweb Premium

There is a Model Shop in Stanley--Durham Trains of Stanley, but would probably be out of your reach if you are only going to Newcastle. May I ask what interest is in the Tyne and Wear Metro? I actually work for the Metro, on the Plant side(Lifts/Escalators). I use Durham Trains all the time now.

Martin

I have now travelled on the Trams in Blackpool, Seaton, Eastbourne, Critch, Croydon, Sheffield, Birmingham and Manchester plus the DLR so Tyne and Wear Metro completes the list. I did a day up to Manchester for the Oldham Loop on the Friday before it closed just for the interest of having ridden on the line (also went to Glossop/Hadfield and Buxton in the same day). I just like riding trains and trams. I work for London Underground, volunteer on the Mid Hants as a Guard and TTI and have visited about ten other steam lines this year.

Chris

What about our glourious tram system in Nottingham? Your missing a trick there. And one end of the system is at Nottingham station so you get to view it's faded glory before it's demolished next year. You could even pop into GeeDee models whilst your in town (we have a Modelzone as well if your really bored)

• RMweb Premium

What about our glourious tram system in Nottingham? Your missing a trick there. And one end of the system is at Nottingham station so you get to view it's faded glory before it's demolished next year. You could even pop into GeeDee models whilst your in town (we have a Modelzone as well if your really bored)

Opps, I missed out my three visits to NET!!! Sorry. I am looking forward to the new Nottingham lines opening (once they manage to build them!) so I can have an even longer ride!

Nottingham and Sheffield have had a big advantage recently as Megatrain.com keeps on letting me get to them for ??1 each way.

Chris

Did you stand and listen for the pre-recorded 'Clang' of the supposed bell on the trams? Lines 2 and 3 will happen one day, but they are planned to go to places they would actually be needed, rather than the current line which runs to the parts of town that already had the best public transport, so seem to be eternally delayed.

Archived