NEW Hornby/TRIANG EVENING STAR

darren01

Yes, this is the original Tri-ang Hornby model which has gone through many modifications and upgrades over the years (including the change from tender drive to loco drive - it was at launch the very first tender drive loco in the range).

I quite like the idea of a 40th anniversary edition but unless the model has some substantial superiority over the 'regular Railcroad issue it will be hard to justify the price difference

• RMweb Premium

Very confusing or daft? - Hornby have will shortly have 3 versions of Evening Star on offer at Hattons R2785 - £56 R3072M (Leg- end) £59 and R3097 (40th Ann Version) £96.

Confusing AND daft. Typifies the company, as discussed at length in other threads! I confused Leg-end(!) and 40th as well.

Well, they can say they offer plenty of choice. Ermm.

Jeff

But you have to take your hat off to a business which can sell a significantly inferior model (most of it derived from long term amortised tooling) at much the same price as their competitor's all-singing and dancing equivalent, mainly on the basis of some variant printing on the box. That's the proof of brand value, and the will to exploit it. Every few months Hornby seem to be waving some repackaged existing product as variously collections, editions, 'rara avis', commemoratives, anniversaries, specials: and always at a premium price. It must work for them, simply deduced from the evidence of the continuing stream of such things. I've been thinking 'surely they cannot get away with that - again?' for what feels like the past five years now...

• RMweb Gold

The $64,000 question is can they still get away with it in these straitened times of financial squeeze etc? The dropping of some items from the 2012 range suggests that the thirst for 'pure' Hornby collecting by R number might not be as strong as it was because it was such collecting that kept a lot of these livery etc changes going apart from other market areas.

The true indication of how things are going will, I suspect, come post Olympics sales bulge when stocks will be carefully looked at in order to reduce inventory and get cash through the books. Then we'll see what comes out cheap.

The packaging or re-packaging of these versions of Evening Star is to my mind just simply good business. I personally tend not to buy the Railroad versions and like to collect variations of particular highly-detailed models, the N15 being a particular weakness, so I'm not overly concerned if Hornby have attractive models like the 9F on the shelves for this summer and the Olympic madness.

I do observe that box shifters and smaller retailers appear to be taking much more care with the numbers of units 'in stock', and one retailer near me in NZ is having a sale of Hornby items at what I think might be 'once-off' prices... having been affect by the 2011 earthquake, the volume of passing trade might be down... their retail premises survived but are on the edge of a wiped-out city central business district. It may even be that they are not going to re-stock with Hornby as I suspect they make more from other hobbies, or alternatively they might stock a lot less and simply take orders on behalf of buyers.

These are very hard times for manufacturers and retailers. I am pleased that we can still enjoy the unprecendented high standard of RTR models.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Here's mine, oh wait, it's an original R861 - must be it's 40th brithday then ;)

post-6717-0-61998200-1337153774_thumb.jpg

Runs brilliantly, with an original R8215 dcc decoder too!

Kinda tempted to the 40th Anni version, but have lots of other things to spend my money on what with Dapol's catalogue on the horizon and the RMweb O gauge wagon to come .....

Let's not also forget that, though the 40th Anniversary No.92220 is a RailRoad locomotive with better lining and a different box, it's still an impressive locomotive - loco-drive, DCC ready, all the basic shapes and looks of the class present, sprung buffers... it makes me wonder why one hasn't made its way to the Sumtown yet.

For collectors, it's a decent locomotive. For modellers, it's still an excellent locomotive that does what the Special Editions of Tornado do - provides a powerful locomotive with all the right looks, and slightly less detail than the competitors, at a fraction of their cost.

At £96, it's not a "fraction" of the cost of the infinitely superior Bachmann model, if you what you want is a DCC ready, powerful, accurate to prototype model of a 9F (or indeed, Evening Star).

I can understand it's an anniversary edition, new packaging, improved lining and so on and so forth; but the original Railroad 9F release was £67. Are we really saying a new presentation box has a markup of £29?

Probably in all likelihood, I guess...

• RMweb Premium

At £96, it's not a "fraction" of the cost of the infinitely superior Bachmann model, if you what you want is a DCC ready, powerful, accurate to prototype model of a 9F (or indeed, Evening Star).

I can understand it's an anniversary edition, new packaging, improved lining and so on and so forth; but the original Railroad 9F release was £67. Are we really saying a new presentation box has a markup of £29?

Probably in all likelihood, I guess...

Yes, Simon, I think we are. And the mugs, sorry, collectors continue to pay the price. As Mike said in his post above, just how long can the "R collectors" continue to subsidize the company?

Incidentally, 2 of the students I teach have just been corrupted into modelling by their evil Physics teacher (me). Having gone away for a couple of weeks to sort out their potential stock (financed by parents), they came back to discuss the matter with me (they are 18 by the way, so not necessarily naive). Of course, it was ALL Hornby. When I mentioned Bachmann the reaction was "who?" The power of the brand!!

Jeff

I was able to examine both the Railroad and Anniversary editions side by side at the Signal Box Rochester today - from careful scrutiny, the Anniversary edition appears to have the blue circle included underneath the cabside running number, which isn't on the RailRoad version. That was the only difference I could spot....

• RMweb Premium

I was able to examine both the Railroad and Anniversary editions side by side at the Signal Box Rochester today - from careful scrutiny, the Anniversary edition appears to have the blue circle included underneath the cabside running number, which isn't on the RailRoad version. That was the only difference I could spot....

It will be interesting to find out if there are any other significant differences that justify the (roughly) £40 mark-up (Hattons prices). Surely people aren't willing to pay the extra for the certificate and box? Maybe I just don't understand the mind of the "collector". Reminds me of the sequence on model railways in the 2007 James May's Top Toys programme.

Nevermind, I suppose if you have the money and the mentality, nothing will stop some people.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

It will be interesting to find out if there are any other significant differences that justify the (roughly) £40 mark-up (Hattons prices). Surely people aren't willing to pay the extra for the certificate and box? Maybe I just don't understand the mind of the "collector". Reminds me of the sequence on model railways in the 2007 James May's Top Toys programme.

Nevermind, I suppose if you have the money and the mentality, nothing will stop some people.

Jeff

You would be surprised (well maybe not?) by the way in which a tiny difference in detail or appearance can have a massive impact on price in the collector market. while it seems to happen mainly with diecasts, with ludicrous prices for some Matchbox variants or assembly errors it also seems to permeate the model railway collector world judging by some of the bidding I have seen at auction.

However I do get the impression that the 'buy to collect' market has shrunk a bit in the 00 area although it seems to hold up quite well for auction prices for older oddities - but nowhere near as attractive, I think, as 0 gauge and larger. I think this is probably a symptom of the way the wider antiques & collectables market is moving with the high quality stiff commanding very good prices which continue to rise while the lower quality and less attractive areas (such as Franklin Mint type things and contemporary r-t-r) are not doing so well because they will not or may not retain value over a longer time frame.

And 'yes' while it might not be as many as was once the case there are people out there who are happy ( :O ) to pay extra for a certificate and a fancy box label although i'm blowed if I can see why (but then maybe they can't see why I buy old railway handbills and other ephemera?).

• RMweb Premium

Fair comments, Mike. And, when it comes down to it, it is each to their own! We all have our "foibles" and our willingness to pay a premium for them - just as well, or we'd all be clones. And what a boring world it would be.

I just feel a bit sorry for the casual purchaser who buys the Anniversary model, at a huge mark-up, not knowing there is an almost identical Legends or Railroad model available.

It pays to do your research! Anyway, I guess I've vented my spleen enough on this one. So I'll get back to collecting used matchsticks. Guaranteed antiques in 500 years - did you know that? :drag:

Jeff

Archived