Silos and Slurry Loaders at Clay Works

Hi,

I'm mid-way through building my clay works and something I have noticed is that many Clay Works seem to have silos. My question is what are they used for? Are they used for storing powdered clay in a similar way to cement, or are some used to store slurry?

Second question, is the slurry stored in tanks/silos, is the slurry piped strait from the settling tanks, is the slurry formed from dried clay powder which is then mixed with water as/when slurry is needed etc etc? Basically where does the slurry come from?

Third question, does anyone have any detail photos of the slurry loading pipes?

Many thanks for any and all help,

Kindest Regards,

Jack

I'm not 100% sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the powdered clay was combined with a set amount of water to make a slurry before loading, as the water content is more controllable that way. You can also store more clay for a given volume of silo and the silos at Burngullow, for example, look to be for powder storage, rather than tanks for slurry.

I can't help with any photos, but if you could get hold of the old 'Railfreight Today' series on DVD, there is some good footage of tanks being loaded, but from memory it seems to be a fairly standard liquids loading arm, like this kind of thing:

http://www.emcowheaton.com/e2110.aspx?taxid=1024

HTH

Thanks for the tip on the DVD, I bought a copy of "RAIL FREIGHT TODAY v5 South East & v6 South West" from eBay for the huge price of £3.99 with free P&P, bargin I reckon! I'm not 100% sure if it's the one that you recommend but the description says it has clay action and there's a picture of a RfD Tractor on slurry tanks on the cover, so either way it'll be a good watch!

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Yes, vol.6, the South West, is the one you want. It's pretty good, there's some good footage from the Mendips and Taunton Cider as well as the China Clay operations. A definite bargain at £3.99 including postage!

The Mendip Stones are local to me so it will be interesting to see some older footage of these operations!

I have since discovered that once the seperation tanks get to a certain level the slurry is pumped out of them and a special chemical is added which prevents the China Clay settling and allows it to remain suspended in the water. This is apparently the process in the U.S. and it makes sense it would be similar here. Once it has been treated with the chemical it is then stored in covered tanks or silos.

The powdered clay is also stored in Silos and as you said Martin the silos at Burngullow are for powdered clay and they have a conveyor systems which is used to fill them.

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Hi

Below is a picture of the Slurry Loading facility at Par Docks

post-7844-0-32115200-1337891639_thumb.jpg

I have modelled this structure twice ; On my old Layout since sold Deviock Dock (see thread on this site ) & my current layout thread Penhallick Junction where this picture also appears.Without checking ('cos I'm lazy) I think I put some construction details on the Penhallick thread

Below is a blurred photo of the original Slurry Loader at Burngullow Taken in Feb this year.The HSt was going quite fast & the light was dull so the poor old camera struggled.....but hopefully you get the idea.The new ,now defunct Loader is in a shed so no pics of pipework available.

post-7844-0-57948300-1337892261_thumb.jpg

Whilst exhibiting Deviock Dock an ex ECC employee told me, that as you say, the Silos are for powdered clay,some Silo's dedicated for Rail despatch & some for Road. The danger was when the clay compacted too much, which caused a sort of cavern, the clay could then collapse on the 'Digger' extracting the clay to load whichever vehicle.

Anyway, hope this is of use

Cheers Bill

Thanks Bill, the example at Par is certainly a relatively simple affair, thank you for sharing the image!

I received the DVD that Martin recommended, it shows the new slurry loader at Burngullow/Blackpool, which as you say is hidden in a building, in action filling the then (1991) relatively new Silver Bullets.

I got the DVD from here, as well as the slurry loading it shows the loading of Tigers and CDAs with the bucket loader and also the very interesting traverser unloading operation at Fowey. Highly recommended if you like China Clay and at £3.99 with free P&P it's a bargin!

Kindest Regards,

Jack

Archived