Deltic DCC Sound

uk_pm

• RMweb Gold

I have heard the Deltic sound decoders offered by Bachmann, SWD and Olivia's Trains and don't consider any to be much good. Certainly, they are not as controllable as offerings for some other loco classes, whilst the sound quality itself is also not that good.

Are there any alternatives on offer? Or any tips on improviong what I have already heard (I have added a Bass Reflex speaker already - so something more radical than this is required).

Now I have substituted the appallingly poor Bachmann mechanism for the Heljan offering (from DP2), I finally have a model which pulls a propotypical load at prototypical speeds. So I need sound to match.

All help gratefully received.

Peter

Hi Peter

I have done a lot of work on speakers for Deltics, some work on the set up on OO gauge Bachmann Deltics, but much much more time on O Gauge Deltics for the forthcoming Loveless Deltic in O Gauge.

The conclusion I have found after trying numerous speakers is not so much due to the sound project, but due to the volume of speaker chamber for the bass sound that the Deltics are known for. I know of one gifted Gent on sound projects who will not do a Deltic in OO gauge because of the lack of space available.

The custom speaker enclosures that I have designed for Loveless have been trialled in my DJH Deltic and they can be seen and heard in the video, the design and placement will be exclusive to the Loveless Deltic though- I have shown it here to show it can be done, but realistically not to this bass effect in anything as small as OO.

This particular argument has been raging since sound chips were first 'invented'.

All sound chips are a bit of a compromise and the Deltic stirs strong emotions in all those who have had the privilege of hearing it in real life.

Compromise and strong emotions are not easy bedfellows and I think that if the OP is unable to compromise then the argument remains fruitless.

Fruitless arguments have no place on this forum and neither do unfounded or un-evidenced personal opinions.

Bear that in mind before posting please.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cliff

Thanks for responding to my post. I am not surprised by what you say - though it remains frustrating when so many loco classes do seem to translate well to the limitations of sound reproduction in the confines of a cramped OO chassis. Your work on the O Gauge Deltic cannot go uncomplimented however: it is wonderful and I loved it. There it is: my personal opinion!

Peter

PS: The Heljan DP2 chassis has bags of space in the fuel tank: could this provide an answer?

Hi Peter

Thanks for the opinion, great to hear.

We have trialled a new Deltic sound project for the forthcoming Loveless Deltic and it is amazing with my speaker enclosures.

We have the Lancaster bomber thrum on tickover which I have never heard on any of the Deltic DCC sound systems before, the first sample should hopefully be ready so I can kit out a couple of Loveless Production Deltics for Telford Guildex September 2012.

Plan is to have a couple samples to loan out to layouts at the Telford show.

Archived