Class 40's on Chequerbent incline

Im hoping to find shots of EE type 4 (class 40s) on the Peak forest to Hulton sidings workings in the 1960s. shots of them at any location of the Bolton and Leigh railway.

If anyone could point me in the direction of books or websites id be very greatful.

or any recollections that people may have.

the line was steam worked until the end of steam at Patricroft in 1968 however I have seen brief cine footage of a 40 being banked up Chequerbent bank by an 8f, both working hard on the 1in20 gradient with just 10 loaded hoppers.

the line closed in 1969 so maybe some diesel shots exist from its last year.

the only actual photograph of a 40 on the Bolton and Leigh is one by the late Jim Carter, taken from the footplate of an 8f that was coupled to a 40.

thanks in advance

Mike

Theres a colour photo of an unidentified green Big D (class 40 !) leading an 8F arriving at Hulton Sidings, easter 1968 in the book Colour of a Lancashire Triangle by D J Sweeney (Triangle publishing ISBN 095293333 0). Taken from the footplate of the 8F. (Page 7, Photo by D Hill)

I have the two excellent books Lancashire Triangle Pts 1 & 2, plenty photos of this line. Just had a quick look, but none with Class 40's (or any other diesels either).

Hope this is of help

Brit15

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived