What loco shed was used in the 1950's film The Love Match starring Arthur Askey?

• RMweb Gold

Last night I watched this 1950's black and white film starring Arthur Askey as an engine driver.

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/films/The-Love-Match

The film is very much of its time but it did make me laugh!

The link above tells of the story but there is quite a lot of footage shot around a loco depot in ? the North West. Any ideas which shed it was?

All very atmospheric with 4F's, 8F's Jubilee's, Compound's and a WD to boot. There is also some lovely shots of ex-private owner wagons in BR service too.

I'll be watching this film again no doubt. Worth finding for some light hearted entertainment as well as some prototypical film footage. Not sure of the Jubilee heading into a tunnel at speed-then the film being rewound to represent it reversing out of the tunnel at the same speed though!!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Last night I watched this 1950's black and white film starring Arthur Askey as an engine driver.

http://www.britmovie.../The-Love-Match

The film is very much of its time but it did make me laugh!

The link above tells of the story but there is quite a lot of footage shot around a loco depot in ? the North West. Any ideas which shed it was?

All very atmospheric with 4F's, 8F's Jubilee's, Compound's and a WD to boot. There is also some lovely shots of ex-private owner wagons in BR service too.

I'll be watching this film again no doubt. Worth finding for some light hearted entertainment as well as some prototypical film footage. Not sure of the Jubilee heading into a tunnel at speed-then the film being rewound to represent it reversing out of the tunnel at the same speed though!!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

Some of the opening shed scenes are at Newton Heath. The Turntable is at the St Mary's Road end and they exit on the motorbike and sidecar onto Dean Lane.

Not watched it for a while so I've got it on the other machine as I type.

The loco 44543 clearly shows its 26A shed plate in the opening scenes and also an unusual all steel

ex PO wagon.

Edited by DerekEm8
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Derek,

Thanks for your reply. Very speedy and informative.

So 26A it was then. 44543 also has the tender cab as well. Really lovely footage around the shed.

I noticed that steel POW mixed in with the 7 plank PO wagons.Some lovely weathering on the wagons. The recently introduced Bachmann weathered POW set would make a good starting point for some of these. Spray on a few black patches and add numbers.

Thanks once again.

Mark

Edited by 46444

• 7 years later...