Studio Lighting for Models of both types!

Lady_Ava_Hay

I live in an eaves style second floor flat which has limited natural light. I have used modelling and table style reading lamps for additional lighting.

I also engage in amateur photography of visiting models of the human variety. I have found the use of the camera flash and a shoe mounted bigger flash to give unsatisfactory results.

I have a birthday coming up and the wife will treat me to £200 of extra lighting mainly for still photography. I have done some research and I think I am favouring flash or strobe lighting and the Lencarta range has caught my attention. It seems that flash gives a lot more light than the regular hot or cold continuous lighting and the one I am looking at gives controllable output and more chance for lighting effects than a straightforward light. I suspect that the lights that AndyY uses as per another thread, at ten feet or so might make little difference.

What is the general consensus as to the efficacy or otherwise of all studio style lighting and flash in particular and would you invest in one well specified, expensive head with accessories or a cheap two head system off E Bay?

• RMweb Gold

I work with professional photographers shooting a variety of material at awards events. Part of this involves setting up photo booths; effectively temporary studios. In all cases the photographers use two flash heads, fitted with either diffusers or bounced off brollies. Both give good results. One of my regulars swears by Bowens gear, but other photographers use other brands. Your budget will dictate what you can afford, but the "you get what you pay for" rule seems to be very true of this market.

I don't have studio flash, simply because I have no space for even a temporary studio, but if, as and when I do it will be a minimum of two heads. This offers more flexibility and the option of using different effects. Diffusers and/or brollies are a must for me too. I'm sure you've researched this, but it's worth reading how other photographers set up flash, including the use of modelling lights. It's certainly a fascinating area to try out. Good luck with it.

I think the crucial thing is have off camera lighting sources as that gives you the flexibility. They also need to be variable power so you can adjust the camera settings and the flash power to give you the effect you are after.

Look up 'strobist' these are photographers ( many of whom are professional ) who use conventional flash units as studio lighting and for what your working on that kind of lighting will suit. You can definitely pick up a pair of suitable flash guns, triggers, stands and brollies for £200 and have something that is a lot lighter and more flexible than a dedicated studio setup.

Archived