Danzas ferry van in 4mm

I've been pondering building a bogie ferry van for some time, and spurred by various scratchbuilding challenge entries, I dug out the Roy Gould VGA kit that has been lurking in my spares box for some time. This has already had quite a hard life, haveing been put together using tube poly glue, then repaired using evostick, and having lost most of its running gear long before it reached me.

First off was to seperate all the bits, then cleen the excess glue off, and finally out with the razor saw and file, to gove me what you see in the photo...

post-336-0-02105900-1339852587.jpg

Now the thing is, I'm fairly capable with Evergreen strip, and so I'm starting to wonder if it even worth considering continuing along this road, the quality of the casting isn't all that great, and with the moulded in signh boards and the poor shape of the ribs, I think it might be easier to either start from scratch, or to attack two Bachmann VGA's instead.

The other problem is that I only have 1 Roy Gould van, and I need two to provide enough roof

Jon

I may have got a spare, Jon- I did this about 25 years back, when the Gould kit came out, and have a spare body, IIRC. Roy might yet have some left- he's on here as 'Ron-the Bus'. There's a deal of congruence between the VGA and Danzas vans, which makes me wonder if Shildon used the same drawings for parts of both types.

To me, the roof of the Danazas vans comes further down the tops of the doors than it does on the VGA, so the VGA roof might not be suitable. The end supports are bent outwards at the tops, whereas the VGA's are vertical throughout. With the cast in Speedlink boards on the kit, I would think that Evergreen strip will be your best option.

I think the Bachmann VGA would be a better start, but I can't quite bring myself to chop two up.

So to distract myself, I drew the doors for one of these,

http://paulbartlett....24a10#h22224a10

Which I might get etched to add to a plasticard shell.

Jon

I'll buy some etches off you, jon, if you go ahead- I remember unloading these at Longport in 1980. Although it was the middle of winter, we worked in t-shirts, as the load was 60kg bags of gypsum which had to be hand-balled. Some joker sent them from Germany, with the load on pallets, but not wrapped, so a trip to Harwich on a stormy North Sea was enough to have them fall all over the shop.

Archived