Baseboard Carcass

Steve Taylor

I'm in the process of planning open frame baseboards using insulation board with a foamboard trackbed. For the supporting carcasses I was thinking of a softwood frame supporting the insulation board with a thin ply skin protecting the edges. However another thought has occurred.......

I have a fair amount of gradient to accommodate (1:81 changing to 1:100) over 10' for the core of the layout with 20-25' for its full extent. Over this kind of distance the depth of baseboard edge required to cover the frame and the scenery is quite considerable. Has anyone used roofing valance? Right now I'm looking at an offcut from having a flat roof redone this week. Its 310mm deep by 9mm thick with 36mm lip at one edge. Ok its white but it seems easy to cut and has the depth to protect the scenic side of things. Has anyone else looked at this? I was thinking to form the outer with the provided x-section and put in trimmed sections to form braces and to support the board (these can be trimmed to suit the gradient too). I know things can be screwed to it and the whole as a box construction should be reasonably rigid.

Any thoughts anyone?

Steve

• RMweb Gold

It's a heavier than ply and 20ft of it would be quite a lot of weight to keep in place - especially when you consider it's normally held in by 4 inch long fixings into solid timber in its intended use - so holding its weight would be my main concern. But it would give a lovely finish with no need for painting and it will cut with an ordinary woodsaw.

Archived