Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Drawing Locomotives

Hello all, I would dearly like to be able to reproduce some of the various drawing of never were locomotives that I have in my possession in 1:76.2 scale. I've attempted several times But never really gotten to far, which isn't really surprising Art was never a strong point for me, in fact it would have to scrape up all its reserves just to be a weak point. But I have been wondering whether or not I'm going about it in the wrong way, are there specific techniques? Or any written works on the subject?

Please let me know.

ScR

I have never had the problem as I've always been artistic, but I know plenty of people like you. As I see it, my advice would be. Don't try to draw from the model directly. If you are as hopeless as you make out, you will have trouble with perspective in 3D. Take some photo's and pick you favourite angle from the result. This way the engine will be 2D the same as your work. If you are sketching with an assortment of different grade pencils, greyscale the picture before you print it. The next step if you need it, is to draw a measured grid on the print, you pick the size that will suit your needs. For ease of use, draw the same size grid on another plain A4 sheet. Now copy the picture block by block. With a bit of luck it should look something like what you are after. To make your picture larger, scale up the measurements on the paper you are working on. Draw the grid very lightly with a soft pencil, a 2Bwill do. If you go higher, 5B for instance, the graphite will be to dark and smudge to much. When finished erase the grid. If you intend to paint your masterpiece just draw the outline first, erase the grid and fill in colouring book fashion to start with. Remember to walk properly before running otherwise you will get frustrated even more. Hope this helps a bit. :paint:

Brian

Take a photograph and use a photo effects feature like 'outline' in Paint.net. Print onto OHP film then project onto your canvas. Draw round the outline in pencil then 'paint by numbers'.

• 2 weeks later...

A book by Mark Linley 'How to Draw Anything' Clarion ISBN 1-899606-00-9 Has some useful ideas and tips. I have used, like you am not an artist! And managed a few odd sketches.

Peter

Archived