Boscarne Junction

Tom Bayford

Hello there,

Well i have been lurking here for a while and have had previous layouts on here but ive decided that now ill show my new work in progress. The layout is built on my old baseboards for my last project however my new plan was to build an interpretation of Boscarne Junction if it had become a small wayside station with 3 lines verging off its more intresting that a Branchline terminus although it is operating as one beacause of operational constraints of funding to buy more wood. I have decided that as my stock is BR 1950's to 60's Southern with Western then that would be my era and being on the mineral line freight traffic is rather busy which is my preference over passenger, anyway here are some pictures hope you enjoy.

Tom

IMAG0239.jpg

Junctions 08 Waits at the Signal Box after some shunting

IMAG0237.jpg

Beattie Waits with the Daily train to Wenfordbridge

IMAG0235.jpg

Overview of the Junction trackwork

IMAG0233.jpg

View from above the small goods yard

IMAG0230.jpg

Bubblecar waits with a Service to Bodmin General

IMAG0229.jpg

Just finished the Platform Structure for Western Trains as Per Boscarne 1964 Onwards.

IMAG0222.jpg

Overall shot of layout and a bit of fiddleyard also showing the DCC Controller which is a NCE Powercab

Well Hope you enjoy updates to come soon work pending.

Looks intersting. I've always had a vague idea of modelling Boscarne Junction one day, but like you perhaps with a proper halt or station. I think it's the shunting and marshalling of wagons in the rural middle of nowhere that appeals. lots of operating potential and with the Dapol/Kernow O2 and well tanks all the stock is easily available.

Looking forward to seeing progress

Looks to be an interesting concept. Will you be getting an AC Railbus to serve your Boscarne Platform?

Yes so long as there is enough money when they come around as found out get My Shillingstone buildings in a few weeks :)

Looks intersting. I've always had a vague idea of modelling Boscarne Junction one day, but like you perhaps with a proper halt or station. I think it's the shunting and marshalling of wagons in the rural middle of nowhere that appeals. lots of operating potential and with the Dapol/Kernow O2 and well tanks all the stock is easily available.

Looking forward to seeing progress

thanks for the kind comments,i think thats what has always appealed the fact its not busy but lots of track for somewhere that really is in the middle of no where

Looking very promising, will be keeping an eye on developments, thanks for sharing your pics.

Thank you should be doing some ballasting in the coming days then just need to think what net for buildings

Guest oldlugger

Hello Tom,

I really like the look of your developing layout, and you've chosen a very charming location in Cornwall. I shall certainly watch this progress with interest. My only observation is your Southern Railway pre fab concrete platform. Maybe you haven't finished building it yet but it's a shame that the platform "concrete" slabs lie unevenly on the MJT white metal uprights. I would be tempted to have another go at these to get everything as even as possible and also rearrange the uprights themselves a bit as several are crooked. You've built the platform like Chris Nevard did on a plastic sub assembly base, so it shouldn't be too difficult to drill some new holes in the plastic for the uprights and reposition them, which will also aid the evenness of the platform slabs. Having built one of these myself for St. Mary Hoo I know how difficult it is getting the MJT components set up just right. I'm not suggesting that these platforms were totally even on the prototype; have a look at the link below which shows how these platforms could end up over time with movement in the foundations (this example was probably affected by the relatively soft marshy surroundings). They would also often lose the lower, thinner wire runs between posts, with just the top railing surviving. If you look at the other stations on the Hundred of Hoo Railway via this link you'll find some other great examples of SR pre fab platforms for inspiration. Once you get it right the the platform is full of distinctive character and is not modelled that often.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/milton_range_halt/index.shtml

All the best

Simon

Hello Tom,

I really like the look of your developing layout, and you've chosen a very charming location in Cornwall. I shall certainly watch this progress with interest. My only observation is your Southern Railway pre fab concrete platform. Maybe you haven't finished building it yet but it's a shame that the platform "concrete" slabs lie unevenly on the MJT white metal uprights. I would be tempted to have another go at these to get everything as even as possible and also rearrange the uprights themselves a bit as several are crooked. You've built the platform like Chris Nevard did on a plastic sub assembly base, so it shouldn't be too difficult to drill some new holes in the plastic for the uprights and reposition them, which will also aid the evenness of the platform slabs. Having built one of these myself for St. Mary Hoo I know how difficult it is getting the MJT components set up just right. I'm not suggesting that these platforms were totally even on the prototype; have a look at the link below which shows how these platforms could end up over time with movement in the foundations (this example was probably affected by the relatively soft marshy surroundings). They would also often lose the lower, thinner wire runs between posts, with just the top railing surviving. If you look at the other stations on the Hundred of Hoo Railway via this link you'll find some other great examples of SR pre fab platforms for inspiration. Once you get it right the the platform is full of distinctive character and is not modelled that often.

http://www.disused-s...alt/index.shtml

All the best

Simon

Simon Thanks for the link i know what your saying it does look a little uneven however its tidied up a bit better but i dont really want it to be perfect as its an arse to build so may well be there for the time being then when i have some more inspiration(took me 2 years to finish it) i will have a crack at another one however it will do for the time being and once ots covered in paint and probbably a bit of a filler should look ok! If not then ill re do later on. Out of intrest when you built yours how did you mate the uprights to the stands as i tried superglue it wouldnt touch it then tried Permabond's Airbus approved Metal glue which didnt stick so ended up tacking it with solder very carefully.

And heres some pictures of the areas i have ballasted this morning glues going of quick which is handy in the warm 22 degrees we have here in sunny Ringwood.

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

Guest oldlugger

Hello Tom,

When I built my platform I used a small amount of superglue; I made sure the areas that needed the glue were nicely roughed up with some wet and dry first and grease free. Also as my uprights were fitted directly into the baseboard and not onto a sub base, they were held pretty rigidly already and the superglue just added a bit more strength. It is tricky getting this right.

Cheers

Simon

Archived