Help to identify BR (W) Coach Diagrams

• RMweb Premium

The following coaches were in use on the last day of the Mortonhampstead Branch:-

W6837W Brake Composite

W2642W Second

W4298W Second

W7087W Brake Composite

Can anyone please help in identifying the 'Diagram' they were built to and if they are available in 4mm RTR (or possible candidates for conversion/ any Kits available).

Any information on other Passenger Vehicles used on the branch would also be useful.

David

W6837W = brake composite E147, W2642W = second C83, W4289W = second C66 [not sure there ever was a 4298], W7087W = brake composite E167. W831W = corridor second C82 was also used in this set for part of the day. Comet sell kits for E147 and C66 and Hornby make the C82.

Other coaches used on closure day:

W6276W = brake composite E167, W46041 = BR standard second on long undeframe, [Replica make these or there is a Comet kit], W1841W = second C83

W417W = brake second D132, W2706W = second C83,, W7393W = brake composite E167.

In the week leading up to closure : W7390 = brake composite E167, W4064W = second C66.

Strangely I do not have a note of which auto trailer/s were used at that time which is remiss of me but they would have been Hawksworths. I'll have a rummage later on if time permits.

The late R P Walford, who used to regale readers of the Railway Observer with much info on GW coaches, lived at Bovey Tracey and was well placed to observe all that went on.

HTH

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your reply. You are quite right I should have typed W4289W and not 4298!

Quite a variety of coaches were used on the branch then. I have seen photographs of of various auto fitted and non-auto fitted Loco's on the Branch hauling Hawksworth Auto Trailers, so would be nice obtain some numbers.

Ok on R P Walford and the RO, I'll have to see if I can get hold of some 1950's issues.

Most of my Railway books are still waiting to be unpacked into my railway room, which, unfortunately is highly unlikely to be finished this year :mellow:

There was a three part series called "Tombstone" in the RO either side of July 1959. I thought I had the articles in pdf format but not so. It seems that the trailers working the line at the end were 224 and 241. 224 went there from new and 241 arrived some time in 1958. It was in use with 1466 in the week before closure according to an article in BRILL Annual No. 8.

Have you seen the article in Steam Days, February 2010? That gives quite a good overview of the line.

Chris

Archived