New type of train detectors on WCML?

Pacific231G

This is probably a question that everyone except me know the answer to but coming back from Manchester yesterday I noticed large numbers of what appeared to be some kind of detector alongside the track. Each one consisted of a double row of what looked like photo cells on a panel about a metre off the ground and they were in rows of maybe ten panels alongside various tracks at most junctions mostly on the up (Eastern) side of whichever track they were alongside . hot box detectors seem the obvious thing but they seemed to be mostly on the same side of the track and there are an awful lot of them. Because the Pendolino was travelling at speed I didn't get a really good look a them but this was the first time I'd travelled on the WCML since it was upgraded and I've not noticed them anywhere else. What are they?

I believe they are actually powerful lights used to allow track inspections to be carried out at night on junctions etc where the train frequency in the daytime is high and the p-way are unable to access the track safely to carry out the inspections.

I believe they are actually powerful lights used to allow track inspections to be carried out at night on junctions etc where the train frequency in the daytime is high and the p-way are unable to access the track safely to carry out the inspections.

Thanks for that. You are quite right and I've now found a reference with a single small photo at http://www.bbrail.co.uk/Junction_lighting

It's low energy 110V LED lighting so what I took to be photo or IR detection cells are actually LED clusters. The new lighting systems was designed and installed by Birse Rail (Balfour Beatty) They seem to have been introduced eight or nine months ago but despite them now being so common I've not been able to find any other photos of them anywhere.

Archived