chaz

Excellent reference thankyou. Any idea where this building was?  Looks USA to me.

I think working lights would be OTT, if they are emergency lights would they not only come on if the fire escape was in use as an escape?

Chaz

Hi Chaz

this looks like the tobacco bonded warehouses on Cumberland Road, between the Cumberland basin of the Floating Harbour and the River Avon in Bristol 

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/File:Cumberland_Siding1.jpg 

Regards, Chris

Edit to add web link

Edited by steaming_chris

Excellent reference thankyou. Any idea where this building was?  Looks USA to me.

I think working lights would be OTT, if they are emergency lights would they not only come on if the fire escape was in use as an escape?

Chaz

As their name implies they would come on in an emergency- often linked through fire alarm detection. But there is usually a local switch for non emergency use, maintenance access etc.

I'll not delve into maintained and non- maintained systems or lighting levels, but there could (certainly on modern buildings) be a number of permutations for operations and lighting levels.

Richard

Hi Chaz

this looks like the tobacco bonded warehouses on Cumberland Road, between the Cumberland basin of the Floating Harbour and the River Avon in Bristol 

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/File:Cumberland_Siding1.jpg

Regards, Chris

Edit to add web link

I worked in that bonded warehouse for a few weeks in the summer of 1977 before going up to York University for the Michaelmas term. I was on a bottling plant filling bottles of Queen's Silver Jubilee Special Edition Harveys Bristol Cream. We received luncheon vouchers in addition to th  £1.25 hourly wage, which I used to spend on assorted greasy lunches of the sort that would be banned by the ghastly Jsmie Oliver at a cafe just out of sight across the road on the right. Happy memories aside, the boarded crossing in the foreground is very modellable and just the sort of everyday scene that inspires my model-making.

• Like 1

Cracking picture and reference RichardW1 and also Chris as the other Chris says the boarded crossing front of picture is full of detail just begging to be modelled.  Both pictures copied to my scenic file.

Regards

After working with Peter Harvey's excellent (though very demanding) etches making the factory wall is proving to be rather more relaxing....

I have explained how I am going to make the wall using two pieces of card spaced apart with square stripwood. One of the reasons I decided to do it this way is that the wndows, which are resin, will drop into openings formed by wood spacers. First I made up a test piece to determine how far apart the spacers need to be set.

P1040880-2%20800%20x%20725_zps1gh0tgtk.j

Look carefully and you will see two strips of SE Finecast brick, one each side of the resin window frame. The digital calipers are being set and locked at that setting with the screw.

Now they can be used to set the wood spacers at the same setting to accept the windows.

P1040881%20800%20x%20600_zps4xbr3brs.jpg

I must have been careful enough when I cut the window  openings in the card as it all lines up as it should.

P1040881%20800%20x%20600_zps4xbr3brs.jpg

Here is a CU of two of the holes through which the wires which will fix the brackets in place will pass.

P1040882-2%20800%20x%20544_zps9okpldi8.j

Here's the current state of the wall with the wood sections glued to the back of the front layer of card.

P1040884-2%20637%20x%20800_zpsnrf8ujwv.j

The red dots show the approximate positions of the holes for the bracket fixing wires. Rather than rely on holes in the card I have glued more of the square section wood in position. Once the back layer of card is glued in place the holes in the front card can be redrilled so that they pass right though the wall. The holes will need drilling through once more, from the back, when I glue the brick sheet to the front.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

Hi,

Re the question of lights on the fire escape, I am sure in this modern age they would be essential, but looking at pictures of fire escapes on Google, they don't seem to be that apparent in earlier times, so for the period you are modelling Chaz, maybe not. Though some nice old fashioned ones would look nice!!

The etchings look fantastic - well done Pete.

Do you have any further exhibition outings planned Chaz? I was supposed to be at Epsom with New Hey, but had a bad bout of bad back, so had to pull out.

Kevin

Hi,

Re the question of lights on the fire escape, I am sure in this modern age they would be essential, but looking at pictures of fire escapes on Google, they don't seem to be that apparent in earlier times, so for the period you are modelling Chaz, maybe not. Though some nice old fashioned ones would look nice!!

The etchings look fantastic - well done Pete.

Do you have any further exhibition outings planned Chaz? I was supposed to be at Epsom with New Hey, but had a bad bout of bad back, so had to pull out.

Kevin

Yes, Kevin, we have two more shows this year. We are taking Dock Green to New Milton on the 25th/26th July at The Arnewood School, Gore Road BH25 6RS

We will also be in Andover on the 5th/6th September.

Details of the show can be found at...

http://www.amrc.hampshire.org.uk/page7.html

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, could do with you a bit further North than that!  :mad:

Do you have anything lined up for 2016?

Kevin.

Yes Kevin, but nothing as far north as Rochdale. When the team discussed how far we would be prepared to travel Manchester was the agreed limit-  so we are just waiting for an invite..... :scratchhead:

We have already done Telford and Warley so an invite to either of these two might come along in a later year (but not yet I think).... both about 100 miles for you - possible?

• RMweb Gold

Forgive the slight diversion we were considering bicycles some days back . I found this in my squirrel hoard

post-8525-0-15491800-1433231320_thumb.jpg

It a scale link kit

The cast wheels are recommended for bicycles in motion the etched ones for stationary bikes. The two halves of the wheels are assembled with washers in between at the hub giving the wheel the proper shape. It doesn't appear to be listed now. But it does occur to me that between you and Pete Harvey .....

Don

• Like 3

Forgive the slight diversion we were considering bicycles some days back . I found this in my squirrel hoard

attachicon.gifbicycle.jpg

It a scale link kit

The cast wheels are recommended for bicycles in motion the etched ones for stationary bikes. The two halves of the wheels are assembled with washers in between at the hub giving the wheel the proper shape. It doesn't appear to be listed now. But it does occur to me that between you and Pete Harvey .....

Don

Thanks for posting that - it's a very interesting kit. The spoked wheels and the chain wheel are most impressive. My one reservation would be the white-metal parts. The bicycle kits I made up were 100% brass and very delicate - I suspect that parts like the frame in white-metal are quite possibly over scale thickness and also very fragile.

Are you planning to assemble it? It would be nice to see how it comes together.

I have three bicycles on Dock Green....

P1030120-2_zpsd27b2876.jpg

...not sure I want to spend time making more. A huge number of models await my attention - including a US On30 layout which has been sadly neglected in favour of Dock Green.

Chaz

edit - just noticed, someone has stolen the cyclist's tyre pump.

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Gold

I think it best to leave the kit for now as I have the trackwork to do first before adding any buiidings or scenic work. I am just working out the mechanisims for ground signals as they neeed to fit between the tracks and I think a little extra space is needed. Scale link list some interesting stuff.

Don

Chains (well - sort of)...

This afternoon I spent an hour or so finishing off the assembly of my Christmas present kit (maybe not the promptest of kit builds but I have done worse!). The tube wagon should have five chains on each side to retain the pegs when they are not doing their job of stopping the hinged sides falling down. In the past I have got a reasonably convincing chain effect from twisting wire.

I used some tinned copper wire. This is 0.5mm in diameter and came from the sort of telephone cable that has lots of insulated strands, coloured coded in pairs - eg red/green and green/red. After removing the insulation from a short length I doubled it over and held it like this...

P1040889-2%20800%20x%20553_zpslihb2eqq.j

....and kept spinning the pin chuck until I got a very tight twist. I could have used a power drill I suppose but doing it by hand is so much more controllable and doesn't take that long.

Next step was to form it on a simple jig....

P1040886-2%20800%20x%20570_zpsytn80h2t.j

...a piece of wood with a short length of 2.4mm brass tube pushed into a hole. A 1mm hole was drilled close the the tube. I bent the end of the twisted wire so that about 2mm was at a right angle and pushed this into the 1mm hole. It's a simple job then to roll the wire round the tube.

I then cut the wire so that the "U" shape is the same height on both sides.

P1040887-2%20800%20x%20526_zpsrjmze3gt.j

The snap shows two "chains" of opposite hands ready to put on the wagon. The one on the right needs a squeeze in a pair of pliers if both strands of wire are to go into the 1mm hole that I drilled for it in the side of the wagon.

Last snap shows three chains soldered in place on the wagon.

P1040893-2%20800%20x%20561_zpst9u90zbf.j

The bottom chain, which is to do with the removeable central post, was not formed around the tube but just bent over with pliers. A minimum of solder is best to fix the chains in place as cleaning up any excess will be a difficult chore. Last job will be to file the wire ends flush where they come through the side of the wagon - once the model is dry from its wash.

If the weather stays warm and dry I might spray a light coat of rattle can acrylic primer on this evening. This will reveal any dodgy solder which needs removing.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

So you have finished the wall and the fire escape then?   :lol: :tease:

Nice wagon Chaz.

Pete

Ah Pete, errr, no, not yet. There's no rush is there?  But don't expect much progress today - the weather forecast is too good to ignore....

• RMweb Gold

Chains (well - sort of)...

This afternoon I spent an hour or so finishing off the assembly of my Christmas present kit (maybe not the promptest of kit builds but I have done worse!). The tube wagon should have five chains on each side to retain the pegs when they are not doing their job of stopping the hinged sides falling down. In the past I have got a reasonably convincing chain effect from twisting wire.

I used some tinned copper wire. This is 0.5mm in diameter and came from the sort of telephone cable that has lots of insulated strands, coloured coded in pairs - eg red/green and green/red. After removing the insulation from a short length I doubled it over and held it like this...

P1040889-2%20800%20x%20553_zpslihb2eqq.j

....and kept spinning the pin chuck until I got a very tight twist. I could have used a power drill I suppose but doing it by hand is so much more controllable and doesn't take that long.

Next step was to form it on a simple jig....

P1040886-2%20800%20x%20570_zpsytn80h2t.j

...a piece of wood with a short length of 2.4mm brass tube pushed into a hole. A 1mm hole was drilled close the the tube. I bent the end of the twisted wire so that about 2mm was at a right angle and pushed this into the 1mm hole. It's a simple job then to roll the wire round the tube.

I then cut the wire so that the "U" shape is the same height on both sides.

P1040887-2%20800%20x%20526_zpsrjmze3gt.j

The snap shows two "chains" of opposite hands ready to put on the wagon. The one on the right needs a squeeze in a pair of pliers if both strands of wire are to go into the 1mm hole that I drilled for it in the side of the wagon.

Last snap shows three chains soldered in place on the wagon.

P1040893-2%20800%20x%20561_zpst9u90zbf.j

The bottom chain, which is to do with the removeable central post, was not formed around the tube but just bent over with pliers. A minimum of solder is best to fix the chains in place as cleaning up any excess will be a difficult chore. Last job will be to file the wire ends flush where they come through the side of the wagon - once the model is dry from its wash.

If the weather stays warm and dry I might spray a light coat of rattle can acrylic primer on this evening. This will reveal any dodgy solder which needs removing.

Chaz

Nice work Chas. As a cable jointer I became skilled at doing a neat job at twisting wires  quite simple to do but not easy to photograph

Don

Today maybe the day to stay indoors- we've had one sunny day, surely a second is too much to expect

Looking out of the window I think you are right. So much for the much trumpeted heat-wave  :no:

Walking on Martin Down (SW of Salisbury) yesterday conditions were nigh on perfect - sunshine and a cooling breeze - a perfect antidote to to a modeller's workbench. We all need a break, a chance to step back - it's all too easy to get so concentrated on toy-trains that our sense of perspective gets badly out of kilter.

Chaz

edit - forgot to mention the really good made-in-the-kitchen steak and mushroom pie at the Roebuck in Sixpenny Handley - YUM

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Gold

Looking out of the window I think you are right. So much for the much trumpeted heat-wave  :no:

Walking on Martin Down (SW of Salisbury) yesterday conditions were nigh on perfect - sunshine and a cooling breeze - a perfect antidote to to a modeller's workbench. We all need a break, a chance to step back - it's all too easy to get so concentrated on toy-trains that our sense of perspective gets badly out of kilter.

Chaz

Quite true Chris. Marion does think I am a bit obsessive at times. Still we went to Tarr steps on the Barle in Exmoor yesterday.

Quite true Chris. Marion does think I am a bit obsessive at times. Still we went to Tarr steps on the Barle in Exmoor yesterday.

Chris? CHRIS?  :sarcastichand:   Marion is quite right - you do need to get out more!   ;)