chaz

Chaz

It is, as expected, fantastic! Well done!

Might I (rather timidly) suggest a very slight further toning down of the litter?

(And btw, the green is perfect!)

Best

Simon

Thanks Simon.

Might I (rather timidly) suggest a very slight further toning down of the litter?   Yes, you may suggest anything that you consider would be an improvement - I reserve the right to act on suggestions or not. They are all subject to rule one  :declare:   To be serious, what I usually do with something new that might not be quite right is give it a day or two and then look at it again. I also enlist SWMBO to give me her opinion - Sue is an excellent artist and a reliable judge of effects.  :triniti: 

Chaz

I think some research needs to be made into the litter! Is it representative of newspapers, would it be sort of evenly spaced, or would the wind blow it into a few selected areas/corners. Would there be some soggy heaps of papers near the drains, for example? Would there be readable headlines or page threes? How about straw, cardboard, sacking, other o&e's of the period? If you were into modern outline, it would be easy - loads of McDonald's wrappings and paper cups would be about correct.

Maybe an approach similar to gardening, planting bulbs, but just drop the fragments in to the area, then gently blow in the general prevailing wind direction, and glue where they fall.

Not over, until the fat lady sings - maybe instead of the sitting smoking guy you mentioned earlier...

Best wishes,

Ray

(well, you did sort of ask :angel:  )

I think some research needs to be made into the litter! Is it representative of newspapers, would it be sort of evenly spaced, or would the wind blow it into a few selected areas/corners. Would there be some soggy heaps of papers near the drains, for example? Would there be readable headlines or page threes? How about straw, cardboard, sacking, other o&e's of the period? If you were into modern outline, it would be easy - loads of McDonald's wrappings and paper cups would be about correct.

Maybe an approach similar to gardening, planting bulbs, but just drop the fragments in to the area, then gently blow in the general prevailing wind direction, and glue where they fall.

Not over, until the fat lady sings - maybe instead of the sitting smoking guy you mentioned earlier...

Best wishes,

Ray

(well, you did sort of ask :angel:  )

Yes, you are right, I did sort of ask.....and now I am sort of thinking.......Hmmmm..........not sure I want a fat lady. I suppose she might have come out of the staff canteen for some air.....

Planting bulbs?   SWMBO is in charge in our garden so maybe I will give her the last word.   :whistle:

To get the sort of natural, drifted look, you throw handfuls in the air, and dig them in where they fall.

When I tried it with my fragments of tissue paper they all blew away.

I couldn't resist posting a couple more snaps.

P1050112-2%20800%20x%20600_zps4zbvuix8.j

Detailing little corners like this one is fun. Oil drums are plastic and came in a pack that included pallettes (I think)  - I have had them a while, they used to run around my home layout in a 5 plank. When I decided to use some of them in this scene I gave them a quick going-over with some weathering powders. The stack of timber came out of a box of various thin sections that I had stripped up on my miniature circular saw, glued into place with PVA. The coil of "rope" is Humbrol rigging cord dirtied up with thinned paint, coiled up on a paint-brush handle and also glued into place with PVA. In the photo the tarmac looks rather too clean but viewing the scene directly this is not a problem. I suppose I could add some stains, spills etc but I am reluctant to risk wrecking what I have.

Interesting effect...

P1050113-Edit%20600%20x%20800_zpspctocbz

Photoshopping the glimpse of my room to the left and above to a pale grey has made what's behind the windows look extremely well lit. 

Chaz

• Like 7

that end-shot sums it up perfectly. who would have thought that modelling a fire escape could have added so much? (when all to to such an extremely good standard).

Beautiful. If industrial buildings can be called that......

that end-shot sums it up perfectly. who would have thought that modelling a fire escape could have added so much? (when all to to such an extremely good standard).

Beautiful. If industrial buildings can be called that......

who would have thought that modelling a fire escape could have added so much?   Well I thought it might well, which is why I asked Peter Harvey to design the brass etch for me. But I have to admit that I am really pleased that it has turned out so well. And yes, it has added a lot to the layout, making a "nothing" part of the model into a real asset.

Reflecting on the model I remember that I wanted a fire escape to feature on Dock Green when I first planned the layout but rejected it as too difficult - certainly too difficult to scratchbuild. When I made the extension board to improve handling of cassettes I realised the need for a screen, and this was an opportunity. Peter had done the brass frets for the streetlights and the Scotch barrows extremely well so I asked him to do the escape for me. The frets, when they arrived, were quite superb and enabled me to realise the model that you see in the photos.

Chaz

Anybody planning to visit the New Milton show, 25/26th of this month? Dock Green will be there and I am always pleased to have a chat with any RMwebbers who make themselves known.

Chaz

That's a "no" then?

Would love to be there Chaz, but unfortunately SWMBO has decreed otherwise!

Do keep us posted for any future shows though as we do venture far & wide.

Love the 'fire escape' vignette and think it's worth every minute you spent on it.  Just a wee suggestion though.  From my observations rubbish has a strange attraction to posts and supports and will often be found lurking between them and the walls as if to avoid detection.  I guess it's actually just a function of wind blown rubbish being obstructed by permanent structures.  

I don't believe rubbish is sentient........................though sometimes I suspect it is................

Would love to be there Chaz, but unfortunately SWMBO has decreed otherwise!

Do keep us posted for any future shows though as we do venture far & wide.

Love the 'fire escape' vignette and think it's worth every minute you spent on it.  Just a wee suggestion though.  From my observations rubbish has a strange attraction to posts and supports and will often be found lurking between them and the walls as if to avoid detection.  I guess it's actually just a function of wind blown rubbish being obstructed by permanent structures.  

I don't believe rubbish is sentient........................though sometimes I suspect it is................

The next show after New Milton (and the last this year) is the Andover one on the 5/6th September - which unfortunately clashes with the Guild show in Telford. The first one next year is the St Albans show on the 16/17th of January.

rubbish has a strange attraction to posts and supports and will often be found lurking between them and the walls as if to avoid detection   Point taken. I suspect that it's not just wind that propels it there - broom pushers might well tuck it away as the easier option, or they don't bother to sweep the awkward corners. 

Chaz

That's a "no" then?

Ah, didn't see it was a question Chaz. I didn't respond because I couldn't believe the timing again! We are staying with our daughter in Four Marks until......... July 24th! Unfortunately we can't stay another day as 'er indoors is working on the Saturday! As I say, can't believe it, it would have made a nice detour going home that way!

Keith

Edited by keefr2

Ah, didn't see it was a question Chaz. I didn't respond because I couldn't believe the timing again! We are staying with our daughter in Four Marks until......... July 24th! Unfortunately we can't stay another day as 'er indoors is working on the Saturday! As I say, can't believe it, it would have made a nice detour going home that way!

Keith

Very bad planning Keith. One de-merit mark to you. :jester:  Joking aside - there will be other shows (although none planned in S Wales - as yet).

Edited by chaz

The first one next year is the St Albans show on the 16/17th of January.

Hi Chaz,

Snorbens is in my diary already. Looking forward to seeing the layout in the flesh, so to speak. Maybe (shameless plug mode on), if you get the time, you could visit St Albans South Signal Box, one of my other projects (along with a number of others) as we are open that weekend too (shameless plug mode off).

Chaz go for it.......... I trust your eye to allow your hand enough freedom to place some subtle STAINS on that Sunday best concrete/tarmac.  If it has litter and liquid in drums there would be stains.

You could if you felt like it fashion up one of those 45 Gall trolleys that you laid the drums on to move about and pour from..................and make stains ;)

Edited by Barnaby

Hi Chaz,

Snorbens is in my diary already. Looking forward to seeing the layout in the flesh, so to speak. Maybe (shameless plug mode on), if you get the time, you could visit St Albans South Signal Box, one of my other projects (along with a number of others) as we are open that weekend too (shameless plug mode off).

Good man.   Signal box visit is a bit of a long shot - I'm usually so involved with Dock Green and the show we are at that I only venture outside the venue as the doors close. (Bit like a band member at a gig   :no:  - never see anything of the town we are in)

Chaz go for it.......... I trust your eye to allow your hand enough freedom to place some subtle STAINS on that Sunday best concrete/tarmac.  If it has litter and liquid in drums there would be stains.

You could if you felt like it fashion up one of those 45 Gall trolleys that you laid the drums on to move about and pour from..................and make stains ;)

Hmm - definite maybe on a trolley. Those drums are a bit rusty, they must have been there a while. I'm not even going to mention stains (OH damn!).

While I had baseboard AB up on legs I fitted a phonebox for the denizens of Dock Green.

P1050116-2%20754%20x%20800_zps9ilkyhvf.j

A whiff of sooty black weathering powder and then it was fixed in place with CA. Only when I was uploading this photo' did I notice the gap under the kerb stones.

Another snap with more than a little flavour of "The Smoke".

P1050121-2%20800%20x%20593_zpsie6spu7p.j

The GPO have added a splash of colour to the scene.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 7

For our recent wedding anniversary, my mum bought us a print by a local artist, Shane Record. The picture we chose is of a phone box against a rather wet view of Folkestone harbour. In common with several of Shane's pictures it is a picture comprising strong blue shades with an intense contrast.

http://www.artbelow.org.uk/ab/GalleryImageDisplay.action?DisplayGalleryThumbImage&imageId=456

A long winded way of saying that I rather like it...

(I suspect some wind blown papers might get lodged behind such an item)

Best

Simon

For our recent wedding anniversary, my mum bought us a print by a local artist, Shane Record. The picture we chose is of a phone box against a rather wet view of Folkestone harbour. In common with several of Shane's pictures it is a picture comprising strong blue shades with an intense contrast.

http://www.artbelow.org.uk/ab/GalleryImageDisplay.action?DisplayGalleryThumbImage&imageId=456

Best

Simon

I think it needs weathering to tone it down a little.

Best

Simon

In common with many parts of London at the time Dock Green is patrolled by road sweepers. (Two wheeled metal barrow with at least two brooms) The bloke who "does" this road bridge is very thorough. I did look for pictures with a view to modelling a street cleaner's barrow but couldn't think of a way to do a stationary figure convincingly. Suggestions are not required.

http://info.shibbs.co.uk/single_barrow.html

Chaz

• Like 1