Loco sounds

rodshaw

I’ve been having one of my rare forays into the world of DCC, looking at sound decoders. I have three US locos, an SW1500, a U36B and a GP38-2. Apparently, these are all catered for by the same Tsunami sound decoder, the TSU-1000. I realise that each decoder represents a particular type of engine, but would all three of those locos sound the same, or are the decoders an approximation only? Or can you tweak the decoders to produce different sounds?

I’m more curious than anything else, I’m unlikely to be splashing out on DCC any time soon.

Tsunami decoders, such as the TSU1000, come in a variety of forms.

There is the shape (direct fit for certain models, replacing the PCB fitted in the loco by the maker) and there is the "prime mover", which is basically the noise of the diesel engine. You select both when you buy the particular decoder, so you could select different "prime mover" and have different engine noises.

Then, once you have the decoder, there is a massive number of end user adjustment to sounds via CV numbers. There is an extensive manual on the maker's website, or the JMRI/DecoderPro software supports these decoders well.

The changes include selecting the types of horn, bell, etc, and also fine tuning the sound, which includes the volume of every sound feature and also a graphic equaliser and reverberation controls which will further alter the sound produced. Finally, the speaker(s) you choose to fit, and their enclosures will alter how the sound is produced.

So, you shouldn't end up with three identical locos !

Now, as to which prime mover should be selected, this table helps:

http://www.bromsgrov...oveselector.htm

SW1500 - EMD 645 Prime Mover(2nd Generation, Non-Turbocharged)

U36B - GE-FDL-16

GP38-2 - EMD 645 Prime Mover (2nd Generation, Non-Turbocharged)

Which suggests that two of your locos would have some similarities, because the prototypes use essentially the same diesel engine within the loco. But, you could then adjust all the other features to make the SW1500 sound different to the GP38-2.

Alternatively, you could look around and see if anyone else makes sound decoders for any of those prototypes. Makers such as QSI, ESU LokSound ("Select" model of decoder) and Zimo all produce some US sounds. ESU list what appears to be sounds to match your prototypes.

Hope that helps.

- Nigel

Tsunami decoders, such as the TSU1000, come in a variety of forms.

There is the shape (direct fit for certain models, replacing the PCB fitted in the loco by the maker) and there is the "prime mover", which is basically the noise of the diesel engine. You select both when you buy the particular decoder, so you could select different "prime mover" and have different engine noises.

Then, once you have the decoder, there is a massive number of end user adjustment to sounds via CV numbers. There is an extensive manual on the maker's website, or the JMRI/DecoderPro software supports these decoders well.

The changes include selecting the types of horn, bell, etc, and also fine tuning the sound, which includes the volume of every sound feature and also a graphic equaliser and reverberation controls which will further alter the sound produced. Finally, the speaker(s) you choose to fit, and their enclosures will alter how the sound is produced.

So, you shouldn't end up with three identical locos !

Now, as to which prime mover should be selected, this table helps:

http://www.bromsgrov...oveselector.htm

SW1500 - EMD 645 Prime Mover(2nd Generation, Non-Turbocharged)

U36B - GE-FDL-16

GP38-2 - EMD 645 Prime Mover (2nd Generation, Non-Turbocharged)

Which suggests that two of your locos would have some similarities, because the prototypes use essentially the same diesel engine within the loco. But, you could then adjust all the other features to make the SW1500 sound different to the GP38-2.

Alternatively, you could look around and see if anyone else makes sound decoders for any of those prototypes. Makers such as QSI, ESU LokSound ("Select" model of decoder) and Zimo all produce some US sounds. ESU list what appears to be sounds to match your prototypes.

Hope that helps.

- Nigel

See the YouTube clips of the Legomanbiffo ranges on www.dckits-devideos.co.uk and listen the the differing types and classes available.

Archived