Bright Lights need dimming

Hello,

I've just fitted (after great fiddling) an express models lights unit to one of my class 24's. the marker lights are directional and work on f0 and the tail lights are selectable on f1 and f2. However they are all far too bright. Can I dim them by tweaking the cv values and if so what cv's do I need to change.?

Many thanks in advance for any help whatsoever

Paul

Possibly, depends on the chip fitted to the loco. Some have a lot of fine tuning options, others don't. The CV's to set are different with each chip maker, and can be different with each specific chip from a maker.

Your alternative is to fit higher value resistors between function outputs and LEDs.

Hi Paul,

As said you need to know the make of decoder first then find some instructions for it maybe on Google. Once you know the make theres a good chance you will be able to access the lighting functions and ajust the brightness. I have done loads but most of my decoders are Lenz so I know by accessing CV54 & 55 (I think) I can ajust the brightness CV54 forward, CV55 reverse. Hope this is of help.

Cheers

Ian

Yes, you must find out what decoder you are using as not all CVs have the same function. Decoder Codes are. Zimo 148. CT 117.

Lenz 99. Digitrax 129. TCS 153. ZTC 132. Bachman/ESU 151.

If you are using TCS then Reset these Cvs 49 to 0. 50 to 16. 61 to 1. 64 to 15. Check that F0 controls the lights on/off.

Now apply dimming. 49 to 12. 50 to 28. 61 to 1. 64 to 2 or 3. I know this works as I have proved it with one particular loco.

For Zimo. ( Not sure about these ) Cv114 0. Cv 60 to 100.

So find out what the decoder is then check what Cvs it uses for dimming. I would also suggest you use the defaults first before making adjustments.Regards.

THanks very much for all the help everyone. But in the end I've decided to ditch the lights anyway. To my eyes the colour is completely wrong, looking more green than anything and the taillights will more often than not be turned off anyway. It was worth looking into, but I'll not both retro fitting the rest of my loco fleet.

Once again though thanks for the knowledgable replies

Archived