Flickr problem - what am I doing wrong?

pH

I've started uploading photos to a Flickr collection. I'm having problems retrieving them in searches, and I wonder if anyone here can help me. I am talking to Flickr support, but it is very slow going!

The photos have captions, but no description or tags (I may/may not get round to adding those). But I don't think that should matter - I can retrieve other people's photos by terms in the caption alone. If I search for a photo within my own photostream with fairly specific search terms, I can retrieve it. However, if I try the same search in "Everyone's uploads", I get no photos retrieved, not even the one from my own photostream. (The fact I don't get anyone else's photos doesn't concern me - I wouldn't expect many other people to have a similar caption on a photo.)

So it appears that my photos are not being included in publically available Flickr indexing.

I've looked at the FAQs that seem to be appropriate. All photos are marked for 'public' viewing. My first upload was over 30 photos, well over the minimum of 5 specified to allow searching (I now have nearly 200 photos in the collection). I first uploaded photos on June 17 - from June 17 to June 26 is, in my opinion. more than the 'few days' the FAQ says you may have to wait.

Is there something I should check/change in my settings? As far as I know, I didn't change any settings from their default values. I did batch-change settings on one set of photos to 'public', but that's what they already were shown as, and it made no difference anyway.

Any thoughts or advice, please?

you need to tag them, that is how they are found.

No tag, nothing to find.

If Im post a picture of 50017 for example, I will tag it with-

50017, class 50, royal oak, hoover, EE.

The more tags you put then the more chance of them showing up in searches.

you need to tag them, that is how they are found.

No tag, nothing to find.

I agree that tags can make it easier to find a photo, but I don't think they're essential.

For example, search for '42241' and, amongst many others, you will get this photo - http://www.flickr.co...ess/5353601819/ . The only mention of '42241' is in the caption - not in the tags, and no description.

And this - http://www.flickr.com/photos/62471403@N05/5742559017/ with no tags or description.

Try tagging a photo and then, after 5 mnutes see if you can find it by searching for 1 of the tags you added.

That didn't work, either. :scratchhead:

Thank you for your interest and suggestions.

I've just got another e-mail from Flickr support. It's not very clear, but it appears that they may not have reviewed my new account, and that photos in the account can't be searched until the account is reviewed (which is why the FAQ talks about having to wait 'a few days' before photos in a new account are searchable).

Anyway, I've checked a couple of my photos, and they do show up in general searches, so I'm happy :imsohappy:.

Archived