Dismantling Bachmann Class 45 Bogie

drgj

I have a class 45 that is noisy in one direction so I thought I would inspect the gears in the bogie from where the noise is coming. I have the bogie out of the chassis. How do you remove the sideframe part and get to the gears? Also, is it correct that the drive shaft clips into the bogie worn but is just a slip fit at the motor end?

Thanks

Dave

I have a class 45 that is noisy in one direction so I thought I would inspect the gears in the bogie from where the noise is coming. I have the bogie out of the chassis. How do you remove the sideframe part and get to the gears? Also, is it correct that the drive shaft clips into the bogie worn but is just a slip fit at the motor end?

Thanks

Dave

Not had one of my 45's apart in over a year, but the bogie frame is held in place by a clip at the rear. Putting a smallish flat bladed screwdriver behind (between the gear box and bogie frame) and gently leavering out while pulling the frame away from the gear box (I find doing it one side at a time helps) it should pop free. Beware the plastic the bogie frame is made out off is very brittle. A quick inspect of one of my 45's shows the tell tale crack.

You should find it a lot easier with the bogie detached from the main chassis, but do yourself a favor while the bogie is seperated, trim back the sharp edge on the bogie retaining clip, to make getting the bogie frame off next time that much more simple. I tend to rub the clip over with a file to round off the edge, and take something like .25mm off of it.

And yes, the drive shaft whould just slip into the flywheel of the motor.

HTH

Regards

Matt / ClikC

I would suggest taking the top of the gear tower apart - the exploded diagram shows how - so that the worm can be disengaged from the gear train, before unclipping the bogie frame. From past experience this sort of trouble is more usually at the top than at the bottom; unless that is you already have clear evidence of the noise source being down at axle level. With the worm out, you can try pushing the bogie to see whether it is less free rolling in one direction, and check for any tooth damage where the worm engages, and also check the worm faces. The last 'one way only noise' I had from a Bachmann diesel - this was a good while ago - was a worm with a pronounced ripple on one of the faces. Previous to that I saw a couple of 37s with very tight gear tower tops, the sides bowed in and pinching the gears slightly. Didn't bother to investigate why the noise was worse in one direction, just loosened the gear fit by filing the boss down a little, and the problem was solved.

Archived