Green 08's with tops numbers

Hello,

I'm looking for an excuse to get a sound fitted Hornby 08, but since I model the late 70's and there isn't one in blue available I'm looking at renumbering a green one. Does anyone know of or even better have a photo of a green 08 with tops number in the north west, preferably either a longsight, newton heath or springs branch one? And if possible what year it/they ran til until being repainted blue? I don't remember any but then didn't start to take any notice of trains until 1977.

I have searched the web but with no luck so far. Many thanks for your help

Paul

If you already have a blue Hornby one why not buy the sound fitted green one, swap the bodies over and sell the (now non fitted) green one on RMweb Market place or that other auction site.

Your blue one will also end up with a brand new chassis into the bargain.

What you need to do Paul, is visit this website http://www.railblue.com/rail_blue_history_2.htm and then marry the numbers on the list to a Locoshed book for around the time that you are interested in.

At least that will get you part of the way towards what you are looking for, because you can narrow the search down to individual loco numbers.

post-6977-0-50399600-1341087478.jpg

08925 at Ince Moss in June 1974

Other Springs Branch 08's at the same time, green with tops numbers, were

08691, 08355, 08423, pics if you want them, don't know the dates they turned blue.

Tom.

In the picture when green its got yellow buffers so could have had yellow side rods, can't tell from picture.

Out of your time frame I know, below is what it looked like in June 1988 still at Springs Branch.

post-6977-0-64692100-1341300838.jpg

Tom

Archived