Single line branch terminus - 00 gauge - late 1980s - North of England

norseman

A couple of years ago I built my first proper layout, called "Northam Central" ( http://www.rmweb.co....ortham-central/ ), a layout that developed into something far too big to run at home. I exhibited it twice in reasonably finished condition, but as I never has the chance to fully erect it at home I lost interest. It currently rests in a closet, awaiting it's faith...

So over the last year or so I have been an armchair modeller apart from making the odd card building or two. Until last week that was. I have got permission from SWMBO to use one wall in a small storage room as a permanent railway room and as most of my rolling stock are DMUs with 1980s livery, I wanted to build a layout that both suited the stock I've got and the space available.

So after a few days in the garage, this is my progress so far: 8' long 20" wide. A small single line terminus to fiddle yard with two platforms, and two sidings, including a run round loop. Nothing very adventurous, but I imagine that this was a far bigger station pre Beeching, and the station we see today occupies what was a small corner of the old station.

Code 100 track with Peco large electrofrog points, operated manually through wire-in-tube or bicyclespokes.

I haven't decided on what kind of fiddle yard I will have. Will need to see how much space I can get first. But long term plans are to use buildings from Northam Central and form extention boards I can take away to exhibitions along with the two boards I build now.

My boy put up some spare track he's got and insisted on us playing a bit with Thomas tonight. So here are a few pics:

layout1.jpg

layout2.jpg

layout4.jpg

Trackplan below. Right hand baseboard in two levels, with an arched underbridge and the railway on a raised level with retaining walls.

layout5.jpg

Hi,

I like the ratio of rails to town area, looks 'rationalised' to fit your layout's history.

Retaining the cross-over means you can run loco-hauled works trains as well as the DMUs.

Cheers, Steve.

Archived