The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

28 years ago today

martin_wynne

Guest Max Stafford

Heroes to a man. I salute all lifeboatmen and women. They really are a special breed, laying their lives on the line to rescue others in the worst of conditions.

Excellent song too.

Dave.

Brings a tear to the eye...

I missed this topic the other day, but I will still add a comment. As previous posters have commented, all lifeboat crew - and indeed everyone associated with the RNLI - deserve an absolutely huge thumbs up :icon_thumbsup2:

Laying your life on the line for every rescue is praiseworthy enough, but to loose it trying to help others is awful. :(

Thankfully such terrible events are rare - although the lifeboat station local to where I used to live also had a disaster, albeit many years prior to Penlee.

Mary Stanford Lifeboat

I agree with everything said here in support of the RNLI. My grandfather was rescued from the White Star ship Suevic, on the rocks near Lizard Point. The exact date escapes me but it was the largest rescue ever mounted by the RNLI, I believe. The ship was freed, repaired, had a new bow section fitted and went back into service.

I have always felt a personal connection with RNLI as a result, and we have tried to support the organisation when we can.

We usually holiday in St. Ives, which had it's own tragedy on Porthmeor Beach pre WWII. Info here. (Explore the "spooky" website - some of it is hilarious, particularly if you know St. Ives)

Brave people, deserving of the utmost respect and support.

Colin

Archived