Possible new tool for scratch builders/photographers/card modellers

Been playing around with some card for most of the day and wanted to create a border around an existing picture. I tried using my card guillotine but getting a consistent border proved difficult. In came my dear lady, saw I was struggling a bit and then disappeared out of the room only to return a few minutes later with a device I hadn't seen before.

It's called a 'Quilter's Ruler' and I can see dozens of applications in our world. This one is Imperial, but they are available in Metric as well. The width of the whole thing gives it amazing stability through friction and cutting precise lines back to a known edge was a doddle with the see through material.

No doubt you may have other methods of cutting but this little tool made my task so much easier. I may have to buy one of my own as the thought of the aggro from not putting hers back is just too much to bear........ :no:

post-6950-0-85346400-1341252707_thumb.jpg

Yes. My DME [Domestic Management Executive] has several of these. I do recommend buying your own as the penalties for non-replacement in the right place are very subtle and include burnt toast, sugarless tea and no marmalade on the breakfast table.

These slights are nothing as severe as when biro-ink is left on one, which subsequently is transferred to a piece of quilting material.

Only a 'meal-out', a new frock or breakfast in bed on a Sunday for a month will earn sufficient brownie points to raise her opinion of you above the level of pond-life.

Doug

Hope the good lady was duly rewarded, chocolates, flowers, ...

I'm off to the quilting/sewing room to have a quiet rummage (already came away with an old large cutting mat on my last visit) if I can't find one then it might just appear on the Xmas present list.

Looks useful, I will have to go and buy my own though as my OH's main hobby is jigsaw puzzles, not a lot of useful kit needed for them.

Oh don't know, a jigsaw is quite handy for building baseboards.

• 2 weeks later...

Great item these are. My wife always asks me first where her rule is...?? So now she has given me her old one and bought herself a new rule. Another tool very usefull I found is my wife's cutting tools and templates (Creative Memories). My wife is into scrap booking (as well as quilting) and the tools she comes up with are very versatile. I have posted on another site (YMR) about the cutting templates and cutters, which are fantastic for cutting arches (ie, viaducts, retaining walls), but only to the depth of 1mm. By backing 2 sheets of card together (pre-cut) it serves a purpose as it saves time, cuts the identical diameter arc and takes a lot of scissor cutting out.

Cheers, Gary.

Archived