Loksound v4 1.1A decoder in 0 gauge loco

Dmudriver

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help me with this - or point me in the direction of a previous post (I've found some about no sound on v4s but not close enough to my problem).

I had a v4 1.1A decoder with SWD sound fitted to an 0 gauge Ivatt tank and used 2 x 4 Ohm speakers in series. It worked well for many months - until it blew!! It has been replaced by SWD.

I fitted the new one, cutting off the 8 pin connector and wired it up correctly. It ran OK on my track, so I did the auto tune (CV 54 = 0, press F1) and it ran even better. I cannot remember if I tested the sound before the autotune or not (therefore possibly not). However, after the autotune, the sound would not come on and this was all sounds. I've checked the speakers in series, wired them in one by one, even used a new speaker, tested the continuity of them all - to no avail. I've done CV8 = 8 reset, still no joy, no sounds at all. The connections of the wires to the chip look OK as far as I can see - and I've used a magnifying glass.

I've spoken to SWD who say the chip was tested before they sent it out and it was OK. I could send it back to be reprogrammed, but I thought I'd ask if it's likely that any CV could have been changed and if so, which one(s) and what should the values be?

I'm used to the v3.5 chips, but v4 is a bit complicated for me - at least so far, until I can grasp more about it!!

I don't think it's anything to do with being fitted to an 0 gauge loco. It ran perfectly for months before. I am using a Lenz system and have no problems with any other locos so I don't think the answer lies in that direction.

With thanks in advance.

Rod

Rod,

I have used the CV54 trick many many times without affecting the sound. It only tunes the motor control CV's so I doubt very much whether you caused the loss of sound. It is fairly common knowledge that the failure rate of v4's is higher than it really should be and it's possible that you have simply been unlucky and experienced another failure. If SWD won't help you, send the chip to me and I'll have a look at it for you. I know people sometimes use standard decoders in O gauge locos, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Bif

Rod,

I have used the CV54 trick many many times without affecting the sound. It only tunes the motor control CV's so I doubt very much whether you caused the loss of sound. It is fairly common knowledge that the failure rate of v4's is higher than it really should be and it's possible that you have simply been unlucky and experienced another failure. If SWD won't help you, send the chip to me and I'll have a look at it for you. I know people sometimes use standard decoders in O gauge locos, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Bif

Hi Bif

Thanks for the reply. There's 2 reasons why I've used the 1.1A in my loco. First, the XL won't fit physically into the loco and second, the loco has a Mashima motor and an ABC gearbox and usually only works with 3 light plastic coaches so I didn't think the load would be that heavy on it. I wouldn't try one in a Heljan loco, though!!!

I've also seen comments like two tone green's in the other reply (thanks for that, two tone green) and I've seen discussions on similar lines in other threads.

I really don't know what caused the problem with the first one and I thought with this I might have triggered something which turned the sound off. If you don't mind, I'd like to PM you about your suggestion.

Rod

Archived