Bachmann Deltic - Model History?

richierich

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if the thread sounds a bit ignorant, but I've not observed this model in any great detail, other than reading the various articles on the model rail press, as it has been outside my modelling period. However last Saturday having unexpected seen / heard 55 022 at NYMR and experience Deltic haulage, I'm thinking about adding a BR blue model with either domino headcode or plated headcode box to my fleet, possibly BR blue with Finsbury Park depot style white cab window surrounds.

So my question is this model have been around since 2003 ish, but has it undergone updates? I believe the early models had the 1-Bo - 1-Bo wheel arrangement, and at some point Bachmann updated for 21pin DCC. Has the model been upgraded to have operational head/tail lights yet?

Thanks your help,

Rich

I think it has had two significant groups of updates. First the chassis was revised to all wheel drive from the intial 1-Bo-Bo-1 arrangement, and then (relatively recently) it got directional lighting and cab lights, 21 pin socket. The build quality improved along the way. My early one was 'fall apart city': quite the worst loco in Bach's range for this, buffers and glazing falling off with great regularity; easily repaired though. The four wheel drive wasn't without problems either, best to fix the sprung undriven axle in position to prevent rocking on the centre wheelset due to torque reaction.

My recent example has stayed in one piece, drive is fine out of the box. Scribing in some of the printed panel detail really helps the looks whichever model you go for. Both versions will get up to a scale 120mph with over twenty coaches on, so if your layout allows you can go for a blast.

Pleased that you enjoyed "22" Rich on her seaside holiday!

You mention possibly modelling a Finsbury Park 'white cab' version style loco; you should note that all of the racehorses that had this applied (3/7/9/12/15/18) had plated headcode boxes. Only deltics 8/20/22 finished their days in service with domino type headcodes, with Nimbus being sadly condemned before FP started painting cabs white.

Dave

Archived